Commonwealth Honors College dean aims to improve curriculum, diversity -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

MASSPIRG calls on Subway to remove antibiotics from meat -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Marken Michel turning into reliable secondary option for UMass football -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

UMass seeking first conference win with rival Rhode Island coming to Amherst on Wednesday -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Cassidy Babin’s shutout streak clocks out at over eight hours -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The stigma driving singlism -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The NFL does not care about breast cancer -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Third Eye Blind invades Western Mass -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Ryan Adams’ ‘1989’ fails to impress -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Disclosure’s “Caracal” is a dark, woozy masterpiece. -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Former UMass student subject of viral arrest (video) -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Adam Liccardi sentenced to eight to 12 years in connection with 2012 UMass gang rape -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UMass Transit expands business significantly, looks to hire more drivers -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UMass makes switch to 100 percent antibiotic free chicken -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UMass Libraries holds ‘Jazz with Friends’ reception as part of annual fall series -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Hampshire College stands by decision to stop accepting SAT and ACT scores -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UMass rowing dominates at Head of the Oklahoma -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spanish Imposition: Ana Yrazusta continues to find success paired with Carol Benito in doubles -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

MAC football notebook: Eastern Michigan overwhelmed by LSU, Bowling Green survives Buffalo -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UMass men’s soccer’s Danny Belza reflects on his time rehabbing a torn ACL -

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Missed opportunities derail UMass in loss at Miami (Ohio)

Taylor Snow/Collegian

The Massachusetts football team outgained Miami (Ohio), but penalties and poor red zone execution derailed the Minutemen as they fell to the RedHawks, 27-16, in UMass’ first conference game as a member of the Mid-American Conference on Saturday.

Running back Michael Cox piled up a career-high 188 rushing yards and two touchdowns as part of the Minutemen’s 471 total yards of offense, compared to Miami’s 408.

But UMass (0-4, 0-1 MAC) scored on only three of its five red zone possessions as the Minutemen struggled to finish drives the entire contest.

UMass coach Charley Molnar was disappointed with the loss, especially with his team’s inability to come away with points in the red zone.

“We had opportunities to stay in the game throughout. Didn’t finish the deal a number of times,” Molnar told “(We) drove the ball, moved the ball with confidence somewhat effectively. We had our sputters and what not, but we still were able to get the ball down close and then we just couldn’t finish it for whatever reason.”

The most apparent case came with UMass trailing 27-10 in the first minute of the fourth quarter when quarterback Mike Wegzyn was intercepted at Miami’s 4-yard line. The turnover brought an abrupt halt to an impressive 14-play, 61-yard drive that could’ve kept the Minutemen within striking distance.

Wegzyn was also intercepted on the first play of the second half when trailing 14-3 after the RedHawks failed to recover an onside kick.

“You could just feel the winds leave our sails when that happened,” Molnar said to “I’m not sure we ever got it back after that.”

Redshirt senior linebacker D.J. Adeoba suffered a leg injury in the first quarter, and is likely out for the season, according to Molnar, but a pair of other linebackers stepped up in the wake of his absence.

Perry McIntyre finished with 12 tackles for the Minutemen while freshman Kassan Messiah had 10 tackles in his first career start.

Molnar was impressed with Messiah’s play and knew he had the potential to be an effective player.

“We knew he was going to be really good, or very good, and I didn’t know when it would happen but he did show up today,” Molnar said to “I liked the fire in his eyes, I liked the confidence of such a young football player and he really looked like he belonged out on that football field.”

The Minutemen’s red zone struggles started on their second drive of the game, setting up inside the Miami 10-yard line. Wegzyn connected with running back Jordan Broadnax for what appeared to be a touchdown to give UMass its first lead of the season.        The play was erased, however, as receiver Deion Walker was whistled for offensive pass interference for setting a pick to open up Broadnax.

The promising, 14-play drive came away with no points when kicker Brendon Levengood missed a 36-yard field goal in the final minute of the first quarter.

Wegzyn had a difficult game throwing the ball, completing just 19-of-40 passes for 213 yards and three interceptions.

On the other side, Miami quarterback Zac Dysert was efficient for the entire contest, completing 12-of-22 for 192 yards and three touchdowns and an interception. The senior also showed his athleticism with 12 carries for 76 yards and another touchdown on the ground.

The RedHawks kicked off the scoring on a 49-yard touchdown pass from Dysert to Dawan Scott with 14 minutes, three seconds left in the second quarter.

After Levengood nailed a 30-yarder for UMass, Dysert and Miami responded with a six-play, 89-yard drive finished off by another touchdown pass to Scott to extend its lead to 14-3.

Despite the turnovers, the Minutemen offense continued to show signs of improvement, as they had no problem embarking on long drives. UMass had six drives of 10 plays or longer, but only two came away with points.

Cox brought the Minutemen within 11 with 5:08 left in the third quarter on an acrobatic, 9-yard touchdown run that saw Cox front flip over a would-be tackler to cross the goal line.

Cox was explosive all game long, bursting into the second level of the Miami defense on a number of occasions.

Molnar felt the offensive line had a lot to do with Cox’s breakout performance.

“For the first time in our four games, we started the same offensive line two weeks in a row,” Molnar said to “I thought that was a plus.”

Up next for UMass is Ohio on Saturday at Gillette Stadium as MAC play continues.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at and followed on Twitter @MDC_Sellner.