A strongly worded letter to NBC

Courtesy of flickr

Dear NBC,

I’ve been quite faithful to you through the years (you are the network that premiered Friends after all). However, you’re beginning to make it hard for me now. This year you’re ending The Office and 30 Rock. To top it off, SNL has lost some key cast members with another one leaving mid-season. The Office I can handle losing, everyone saw that one coming, and most didn’t even expect there to be a ninth season. It took a downhill turn after losing the beloved Steve Carell as Michael Scott, but most fans stuck out the change in characters so we could see how the lives of all the other characters played out. The season premiered with the loss of two more characters; Kelly Kapoor, played by Mindy Kaling, and Ryan Howard, played by BJ Novak. It’s rumored that they’re far from the last of the main cast members to be leaving the show before it ends. Dwight Schrute, played by Rainn Wilson, is rumored to be leaving mid-season for a spin-off that takes place on Schrute Farms. To make it even worse, there is talk that John Krasinski, who plays Jim Halpert, wants to leave the show as well. Sadly, it looks like the last season of The Office is not going to be a good one. The producers probably should have let the show die when Michael Scott left.

30 Rock is entering its last season late in the game. It’s not premiering until October 4th, two weeks after the rest of the Thursday night line up premiered. I love 30 Rock and do not want to accept it is ending, but if Liz Lemon didn’t get her life together soon, it would have turned in to a show too sad to watch. I’ve, sadly, identified with Tina Fey’s character of Liz Lemon quite a bit. I think that is part of the reason why this is so bitter-sweet. I want to see the character succeed so I can vicariously live through her, but I don’t want to lose the character I can relate to. This means I will have to watch and re-watch all the reruns.

The loss of The Office and 30 Rock has made me sad, but I thought there was one NBC show I could always count on to be there for me. It looks like SNL might just prove me wrong though. The end of the female-dominated time at SNL came to a close when Kristen Wigg left to go on to bigger and better things just as Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph did before her. However, just as the show started to display their wonderfully talented men, they started leaving too. Andy Samberg left at the end of last season without letting anyone know he wasn’t returning until after the last episode aired. Turns out, Jason Sudeikis is planning to leave as well. He renewed his contract only until December just to continue his characters of Mitt Romney and Joe Biden until the end of election season. With so many characters leaving, this forced SNL to promote their featuring players before they really impressed us yet, and take on some newbies. This means that Bill Hader, Taran Killam, Bobby Moynihan and Kenan Thompson better stick around to make this season amazing. I want to see a whole lot of Stefon on weekend update.

NBC, I got pretty close to leaving you after this season. Lucky for you, you still have one of the greatest shows to ever be: Parks and Recreation. I’ll stick around a little bit longer, but step up your game!

Kate Casler can be reached at [email protected].