Saint Joseph’s and La Salle both earn non-conference wins.

An overtime penalty kick by sophomore Jake Nelson gave the Saint Joseph’s men’s soccer team a 2-1 victory over Loyola University on Saturday afternoon.

As the first overtime was coming to a close, a foul by Greyhound junior goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper gave the Hawks (4-5) a penalty kick with nine seconds remaining, which Nelson buried into the net for his second goal of the season.

While both teams accounted for 46 total shots, there were no goals until the 81st minute when sophomore forward Connor Thompson scored his second goal of the year to put the Greyhounds (5-4-1) ahead with roughly nine minutes to go in the second half.

Loyola couldn’t hold the lead for long, however, as Saint Joseph’s tied the game on a goal by freshman Tim Lazorko in the 84th minute. It was Lazorko’s second goal of the season.

The Hawks don’t play again until Friday night, when they begin Atlantic 10 play at home against Duquesne at 7 p.m.

Explorers win in overtime

La Salle improved its record to 6-2-2 on the season, sneaking past Saint Peter’s, 1-0, in overtime on Saturday in Newark, N.J.

Senior midfielder Zach Turchi tallied the game-winner for the Explorers in the 96th minute after a deflected shot from about 20 yards out found the back of the net for his first goal of the season. It was also Turchi’s first collegiate goal.

The game involved 26 shots between the two teams, with La Salle outshooting the Peacocks (2-7) eight to two in the first half and 16 to 10 overall.

Saint Peter’s struggled to get in an offensive rhythm, and forced La Salle junior  goalkeeper John McCarthy  to make only two saves throughout the entire game.

Meanwhile, Peacocks goalkeeper Carlos Suarez was tested on multiple occasions, as he made nine saves on the day.

La Salle moves on to A-10 play Friday night with a home affair against Fordham.

URI falls to Fairfield

Two second half goals by sophomore Jordan Ayris was all Fairfield needed en route to a 2-0 victory over Rhode Island on Saturday night in Fairfield, Conn.

Ayris, who led the Stags (4-4) in goals last season as a freshman, found the back of the net in the 51st and 74th minutes, giving him three for the year.

After a scoreless first half which saw Fairfield outshoot the Rams (1-6-2), Ayris opened up the scoring six minutes into the second half when he flicked a cross from junior Jon Clements over the goalkeeper’s head and into the net to give the Stags the 1-0 lead.

Twenty-three minutes later, Fairfield ended Rhode Island’s hopes of a comeback on Ayris’ second goal of the day on a rebound off a shot by senior defender Adam Cowen.

Both team’s goalkeepers were forced to make six saves on the day.

URI begins conference play on Saturday night when it hosts A-10 opponent Massachusetts.

Jason Kates can be reached for comment at [email protected].