Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Five movies to watch on a snow day

1. The Towering Inferno

What better way to forget the arctic conditions outside than with this classic disaster movie? When a raging inferno engulfs a San Francisco sky scraper, only the super cool duo of Chief Mike O’Hallorhan (Steve McQueen) and Doug Roberts (Paul Newman) can fan the flames and save the day. Look out for a cameo from dancing aficionado, Fred Astaire.

2. Some Like it Hot

Musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) experience some metaphorical heat as they run from the mob. In order to keep a low profile, the duo masquerade as women. This cross-dressing comedy classic, co-starring Marilyn Monroe as Sugar, is enough to get anyone hot under the collar.

3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles

When Neal Page’s (Steve Martin) flight home for Thanksgiving is cancelled due to a blizzard, his only option is to buddy up with incompetent, nice but dim Del Griffith (John Candy) to get to Chicago by any means possible. Unfortunately for them, everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Anyone who has had their plans thrown into turmoil by adverse weather can wholeheartedly sympathize with Martin’s plight.

Facebook

4. The Shining

Is there anything worse than being snowed in, trapped with no way out? Troubled writer Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) clearly doesn’t think so as he experiences a particularly troubling bout of cabin fever while attempting to finish his novel over winter. Landmark horror by Stanley Kubrick, based on the Stephen King novel, “The Shining” is a master class in suspense and tension. Torrance’s descent into madness is guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.

5. The Great Escape

There is no better film to settle down to watch during the long winter months than “The Great Escape.” Set in the middle of World War Two, the film follows a group of Allied prisoners as they attempt to escape their German captors. With an exceptional cast made up of screen icons like Richard Attenborough, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence and led by ‘King of Cool’ Steve McQueen you can’t really go wrong. It’s an absolute treat from start to finish.