UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UMass Lowell making jump to Division I

Flickr/Gus Estrella

The University of Massachusetts Amherst will no longer be the only UMass school in Division I athletics for all of its sports programs.

UMass Lowell announced on Wednesday that it will make the jump to the America East Conference starting in the 2013-14 academic year after spending the last 13 years in the Northeast-10 in Division II, according to the Boston Herald.

An official announcement will be made Thursday at 11 a.m. at the Tsongas Center.

University officials told the Boston Herald that the America East’s decision to invite UMass Lowell coincides with Boston University’s decision to move to the Patriot League in all sports next season.

“Today marks another milestone for the University of Massachusetts Lowell. … This move is testimony to the abilities and accomplishments of our student athletes, all of whom, except men’s ice hockey, compete at the Division II level, where they have enjoyed enormous success,” Chancellor Marty Meehan said in a letter to the UMass Lowell community on goriverhawks.com.

The school will begin a four-year trial period with the NCAA next season, meaning most of the programs will be ineligible to participate in postseason tournaments during that span, according to the Herald.

The decision won’t impact the school’s hockey program, though, which already competes full-time in Division I for Hockey East.

The field hockey program will only be held out of postseason eligibility for two seasons because the school was allowed to choose one women’s program to surrender two years of eligibility due to the equality laws of Title IX, according to the Herald.

UMass Lowell also plans to add men’s and women’s lacrosse in the 2014-15 academic year in order to equal the average number of athletic programs (16) at America East schools, according to the herald.

“I think every student athlete who is in Division 2 wishes somebody in Division 1 had recruited them, so I think there is going to be some motivation there,” UMass Lowell Athletic Director Dana Skinner told the Herald. “This is a long-term investment and you are going to get to be part of a growing university.”

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.