UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Canelas: Improved scoring depth essential for UMass in 2013-14

Nathalie Sczublewski/Daily Collegian

With nine seniors, 16 upperclassmen and its three leading scorers from last season on the roster, one would think the Massachusetts hockey team is primed for success in 2013-14.

However, there’s a reason why UMass failed to make the Hockey East Tournament last season and why it’s yet again picked to finish second-to-last in the conference. Beyond the top forward line of Branden Gracel, Michael Pereira and Conor Sheary, there aren’t a whole lot of reliable scoring options for the Minutemen.

There are players who are capable of contributing. But if last season – a season in which the Minutemen went winless in eight of their final 10 games – is any indication, the pressure will once again fall upon the first line to replicate its 2012-13 showing.

The trio produced 35 percent of the points for UMass last season and quickly became one of the most exciting and dynamic scoring lines in Hockey East, if not in all of college hockey, once they were regularly placed in the lineup together in the middle of the season.

The problem was the wins weren’t coming with it. Steven Guzzo (5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points) underachieved, Troy Power was out with a season-ending injury and there simply wasn’t enough talent to roll out four quality lines.

“Depth in scoring is a key,” UMass coach John Micheletto said. “You can’t be a one-line team, a one-trick pony in this league. Credit to Mike and Conor and Branden last year because they did carry the bulk of it while being targeted by other teams.”

This trend can’t continue if the Minutemen want better results this year. The burden now falls upon the likes of Guzzo, Power and Shane Walsh among a group of others, and a crop of freshmen to take the pressure off “The Big Three” of Gracel, Pereira and Sheary.

“I think in the past we’ve been so heavily one or two line based,” Power said, “and you look at the good teams around the league, they have great goaltending, they have good defense and they have four lines that can put good numbers on the board and that’s what we’re looking to do here.”

A team that exemplifies Power’s point is UMass Lowell, which also happens to be the defending Hockey East champions and UMass’ second opponent of the season. The River Hawks certainly didn’t have the best player in the conference on its roster. In fact, it’s likely none of their forwards are in any person’s top five in Hockey East. However, UMass Lowell relied on three 30-point scorers and five 20-point scorers to reach the Frozen Four for the first time in program history.

The difference there, of course, is that the Minutemen don’t have the same kind of talent that the River Hawks have, but there’s also no excuse for having nine role players to go with three goal-scorers up front.

Someone else has to emerge. Gracel (14-20-34) was that player last year and he led the team in scoring. It was essential. But it wasn’t enough from a team standpoint.

“For some of the year last year (Micheletto) even said that we didn’t have some of the secondary scoring that we needed,” Gracel said. “If we can get a couple other lines scoring it’s gonna be huge and help us compete with the best.”

Not only will it figuratively take some pressure off “The Big Three,” but it will also force opposing teams to spread out the defensive pairings and potentially force a mismatch on the ice. Gracel, Pereira and Sheary saw the best defensemen in Hockey East on a nightly basis, but that could change with a few more threats out there.

At this point, however, the Minutemen’s greatest hope for more offense comes from their freshmen. Steven Iacobellis has already shown flashes of offensive prowess and he’s yet to play in a game, while the rest of Micheletto’s first recruiting class, which includes names such as Ray Pigozzi, Brandon Wahlin and Brennan Baxandall, are bound to be fast, aggressive players built for the second-year coach’s system

UMass may have had its answer in Frank Vatrano, but the redshirt freshman and former Boston College commit is ineligible to play until the Hockey East Tournament due to academic issues dating back to his brief stay in Chestnut Hill last season. He’s never played in a game for the Minutemen, but he will certainly be missed.

“He’s made us better since he’s been here in January,” Micheletto said. “The guy hasn’t played a game, but the way he competes, his approach to the game, skill aside, how good a teammate he is, all those things impacted us so positively.”

Until Vatrano actually gets a chance to be the impact player he’s expected to be, UMass will have to find other answers. Watching Gracel, Pereira and Sheary skate together is as great of quality of hockey as it gets. But that won’t win the Minutemen games.

That responsibility falls upon everyone else. There needs to be a fourth and fifth 20-point scorer.

If not, the 2012-13 season could be on repeat this year.

That includes the wins and losses.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.