UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Obama and Modi strengthen ties between U.S. and India -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass receives research honor from the Carnegie Foundation -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Björk gets personal on breakup album, ‘Vulnicura’ -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Islamophobia is a form of racism that needs to be stopped -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

UMass Dining nominated for Seafood Champion Award -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Why UMass basketball isn’t a good brand of basketball -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BLOG: Joseph Widmar commits to UMass hockey -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BLOG: New York Jets name Marcel Shipp new running backs coach -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

UMass football falls to Akron on Senior Day after leaping penalty

FOXBORO — Everything was set up perfectly for the Massachusetts football team.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Down by one point, the Minutemen had forced Akron to take a field goal with one minute, 30 seconds remaining, and if it made it, UMass would have a chance to march down the field and win the game with a timeout to spare.

But defensive end Justin Anderson was assessed a personal foul for leaping on the field goal attempt, which gave the Zips a first down. All UMass (1-9, 1-5 Mid-American Conference) could do was watch as Akron (4-7, 3-4 MAC) kneeled three straight times to claim a 14-13 win on the Minutemen’s Senior Day at Gillette Stadium in front of a listed attendance of 10,599.

UMass coach Charley Molnar did not see the leaping personal foul take place since he was watching the ball, but he was given an explanation from the referees for the call.

“Here’s how it was explained to me,” he said. “Our man lined up a yard past the line of scrimmage. He jumped, which is certainly legal, and he landed on top of the guys in front of him, which makes it a personal foul.”

Mike Wegzyn, who had come in to play quarterback after A.J. Doyle limped off the field in the third quarter, was getting ready for the chance to try to win the game but never got to due to the penalty.

“Talking about that last little bit there right at the end of the game, yeah, frustrating is probably the best word,” he said. “I was talking to the guys, we were ready to put together a two-minute drive there and kind of getting each other excited, kind of getting revved up, ready to go, and then what happened, happened and the clock ran out and we ran out of time.”

When senior tight end Rob Blanchflower saw that he wouldn’t get a chance to win his final game at Gillette Stadium, he said “it’s the worst feeling in the world.”

That wasn’t the only missed opportunity for the Minutemen on Saturday, though. UMass had forced three consecutive fumbles back in the first quarter, but didn’t convert any of those chances into points. It also had a chance on fourth and 1 from Akron’s 47 to pick up a first down late in the fourth quarter, but Jamal Wilson was stood up for no gain, which gave the Zips the ball, and they didn’t relinquish it for the rest of the game.

Akron took the lead for good at the 9:49 mark in the fourth when quarterback Kyle Pohl (20-of-33 for 208 yards and one touchdown) found Jawon Chisholm, who leaped for the pylon and just snuck the ball in for the winning touchdown.

Back in the third quarter, the Minutemen had regained the lead thanks to Wegzyn, who came in for the injured Doyle. Wegzyn was 4-of-4 for 76 yards on the drive, which concluded on a play action touchdown pass from Wegzyn (4-of-7 for 76 yards and one touchdown and interception) to Blanchflower with 6:58 remaining in the quarter.

“Everybody wants to play, but you do what you can, you control what you can control, and it’s in the coach’s hands whenever they want to put me in it’s up to them,” Wegzyn said when asked about coming into the game cold. “So what I do is just to try to play my best whenever I’m out there.”

One of the bright spots for UMass despite the loss was Blanchflower, who is now the all-time leader in receiving yards by a tight end in Minuteman history, surpassing Milt Morin’s previous record of 1,151. Blanchflower finished the game with five receptions for 26 yards and a touchdown. His historic moment came on a 9-yard completion from Doyle (13-of-21 for 75 yards and one interception) near the end of the first quarter.

“It happened in the midst of a drive,” Molnar said of Blanchflower’s historic catch, “so I’m not sure if I got a chance to congratulate Rob. Quite frankly, you expect to tell him that in a winning locker room and that is one of the biggest disappointments this afternoon for me.”

Brendon Levengood continued his perfect field goal streak with a pair of kicks from 37 and 33 yards in the first half to keep UMass within striking range.

The Zips were the only team to find the end zone in the first half after they marched down the field on a five-play, 63-yard drive that lasted 2:19, which was capped off by a Pohl scramble to his right for a touchdown.

The Minutemen were forced to use Wilson more at running back after Lorenzo Woodley was injured during the second quarter. Wilson answered the call, rushing for 70 yards on the afternoon.

While Saturday was the final home game for UMass, it will still play two more games on the road beginning with Central Michigan next Saturday.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Cam_McDonough.