Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Hockey East notebook: BC clinches regular-season title, Black Bears roll

Abby Drey/Centre Daily Times/MCT

Abby Drey/Centre Daily Times/MCT

The No. 1 Boston College hockey team remained unbeaten over its past 17 games, beating No. 16 Vermont 5-3 on Saturday night. Brian Billett made 35 saves in net to pick up the victory.

It was a well-rounded effort for BC (24-4-3, 15-1-1 Hockey East), which had 10 different players register at least a point. The win clinched the Hockey East regular-season title and guaranteed a No. 1 seed in the upcoming Hockey East Tournament. Johnny Gaudreau, Chris Calnan and Scott Savage led the way with a goal and assist each.

Calnan kicked off the scoring at 18 minutes, 18 seconds in the first period, converting a short-handed breakaway to give BC a 1-0 lead. With 36 seconds left in the period, Bill Arnold put home a rebound to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead after one.

Vermont (15-11-3, 7-9 HEA) came out firing in the second, and Nick Bruneteau put the Catamounts on the board 2:07 into the period. But the close score was short-lived, as goals from Eagles first-liners Gaudreau and Kevin Hayes put the Eagles comfortably ahead 4-1 going into the third.

BC has not lost since the day after Thanksgiving. Its only blemish in that time was a 3-3 tie with Providence.

The win completed a weekend sweep of Vermont, as the Eagles won a close one 4-3 on Friday night.

Summerhays, Irish blank Providence

Goaltender Steven Summerhays made 36 saves as No. 15 Notre Dame shut out No. 12 Providence 3-0 on Saturday night. The shutout was Summerhays’ sixth of the season.

It was a wire-to-wire win for the Irish (17-12-2, 6-9-2 HEA) as it led for virtually the whole game. David Gerths scored his first goal of the season 5:59 into the first period to give ND the lead for good. Bryan Rust tacked on a power play goal in the second to give the Irish a two-goal cushion, and Jeff Costello iced the game with an empty-net goal late in the third.

The ND defense turned in an impressive effort, and shut down forward Ross Mauermann of PC (15-9-6, 7-7-2 HEA), who has 18 goals and 15 assists in 30 games for the Friars.

The win capped an important weekend for the Irish as they put some distance between themselves and Massachusetts for eighth place in the Hockey East standings. They picked up another point on Friday night when they tied PC 2-2.

ND will travel back east next weekend, when Boston University hosts them for a pair of games starting Friday night at 7:05 p.m. PC will play UMass in a home-and-home series, starting Friday at 7 p.m. in Providence.

Black Bears continue roll, top Merrimack

No. 17 Maine won for the fourth time in five games as it topped Merrimack 3-2 on Saturday night in Orono, Maine. Connor Leen scored with 28 seconds left in the third period to give the Black Bears a dramatic victory.

Senior goaltender Martin Ouellette stopped 23 shots on the night to pick up the win for Maine (15-10-3, 9-5-2 HEA). He’s been a workhorse for the Black Bears this season, playing 27 of 28 games and compiling an impressive save percentage of .933, tied for fifth in the country.

It was a scrappy effort from Merrimack (7-18-3, 2-12-2 HEA), a team that has struggled this season. After a power play goal from Mike Collins tied the game at 2-2 with less than 10 minutes to play, it appeared the Warriors would at least squeeze a point out of the game. But Devin Shore’s blast was tipped home by Leen in the final minute and the Black Bears hung on to avoid the upset.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at rgieniec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @RossCollegian.

You must be logged in to post a comment.