UMass looks ahead to 2015, for better or for worse -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass football falls 41-21 in season finale against Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Minutemen defense comes up short in 41-21 loss to Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass formally cuts ties with alumnus Bill Cosby -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hockey East notebook: BC clinches regular-season title, Black Bears roll

Abby Drey/Centre Daily Times/MCT

Abby Drey/Centre Daily Times/MCT

The No. 1 Boston College hockey team remained unbeaten over its past 17 games, beating No. 16 Vermont 5-3 on Saturday night. Brian Billett made 35 saves in net to pick up the victory.

It was a well-rounded effort for BC (24-4-3, 15-1-1 Hockey East), which had 10 different players register at least a point. The win clinched the Hockey East regular-season title and guaranteed a No. 1 seed in the upcoming Hockey East Tournament. Johnny Gaudreau, Chris Calnan and Scott Savage led the way with a goal and assist each.

Calnan kicked off the scoring at 18 minutes, 18 seconds in the first period, converting a short-handed breakaway to give BC a 1-0 lead. With 36 seconds left in the period, Bill Arnold put home a rebound to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead after one.

Vermont (15-11-3, 7-9 HEA) came out firing in the second, and Nick Bruneteau put the Catamounts on the board 2:07 into the period. But the close score was short-lived, as goals from Eagles first-liners Gaudreau and Kevin Hayes put the Eagles comfortably ahead 4-1 going into the third.

BC has not lost since the day after Thanksgiving. Its only blemish in that time was a 3-3 tie with Providence.

The win completed a weekend sweep of Vermont, as the Eagles won a close one 4-3 on Friday night.

Summerhays, Irish blank Providence

Goaltender Steven Summerhays made 36 saves as No. 15 Notre Dame shut out No. 12 Providence 3-0 on Saturday night. The shutout was Summerhays’ sixth of the season.

It was a wire-to-wire win for the Irish (17-12-2, 6-9-2 HEA) as it led for virtually the whole game. David Gerths scored his first goal of the season 5:59 into the first period to give ND the lead for good. Bryan Rust tacked on a power play goal in the second to give the Irish a two-goal cushion, and Jeff Costello iced the game with an empty-net goal late in the third.

The ND defense turned in an impressive effort, and shut down forward Ross Mauermann of PC (15-9-6, 7-7-2 HEA), who has 18 goals and 15 assists in 30 games for the Friars.

The win capped an important weekend for the Irish as they put some distance between themselves and Massachusetts for eighth place in the Hockey East standings. They picked up another point on Friday night when they tied PC 2-2.

ND will travel back east next weekend, when Boston University hosts them for a pair of games starting Friday night at 7:05 p.m. PC will play UMass in a home-and-home series, starting Friday at 7 p.m. in Providence.

Black Bears continue roll, top Merrimack

No. 17 Maine won for the fourth time in five games as it topped Merrimack 3-2 on Saturday night in Orono, Maine. Connor Leen scored with 28 seconds left in the third period to give the Black Bears a dramatic victory.

Senior goaltender Martin Ouellette stopped 23 shots on the night to pick up the win for Maine (15-10-3, 9-5-2 HEA). He’s been a workhorse for the Black Bears this season, playing 27 of 28 games and compiling an impressive save percentage of .933, tied for fifth in the country.

It was a scrappy effort from Merrimack (7-18-3, 2-12-2 HEA), a team that has struggled this season. After a power play goal from Mike Collins tied the game at 2-2 with less than 10 minutes to play, it appeared the Warriors would at least squeeze a point out of the game. But Devin Shore’s blast was tipped home by Leen in the final minute and the Black Bears hung on to avoid the upset.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at rgieniec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @RossCollegian.