UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

UMass football to leave MAC after 2015 season

Evan Sahagian/ Collegian

Evan Sahagian/ Collegian

The Massachusetts football team will leave the Mid-American Conference following the 2015 season, the team announced on Wednesday.

The University elected to leave the MAC after the conference exercised a contract clause that gave UMass the choice between becoming a full member of the MAC in all sports or leave the conference after two more years as a football-only member, according to a news release.

According to ESPN, UMass was offered full membership to the MAC last month and ultimately declined. The Minutemen have been football-only members since its move to Football Bowl Subdivision in 2012.

The University has already begun conducting a study of its future options with Carr Sports Consulting — the same firm that assisted in the coaching search that led to the hiring of Mark Whipple — according to the news release.

“While the report is not complete,” Athletic Director John McCutcheon said in the release, “we believe full membership for all sports in the MAC is not a good fit for us. Because most of the MAC schools are in the Midwest, the additional travel would strain our athletic budget and pose considerable time management challenges for our student athletes. We are confident that, within the next two years, we will find a more suitable conference for our FBS football program.”

“This is not the outcome we anticipated when UMass was admitted as a football-only member,” MAC commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher said in a statement Wednesday. “However, circumstances changed regarding our football membership and this is a result of those circumstances.”

McCutcheon said the program remains “committed to FBS football. Many institutions have successfully navigated this challenging period of conference realignment and we will do the same.”

“I was aware of this possibility when I accepted the position of head coach, and I believe this move is in the university’s best interest,” Whipple said. “My focus is on building a program that we all can be proud of and that provides a great experience for our student athletes.”

UMass is in the Atlantic 10 for all other sports except for hockey (Hockey East) and men’s lacrosse (Colonial Athletic Association).

The decision to leave the MAC ends the men’s basketball scheduling agreement that requires each team to play four MAC opponents.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.