UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass football to leave MAC after 2015 season

Evan Sahagian/ Collegian

Evan Sahagian/ Collegian

The Massachusetts football team will leave the Mid-American Conference following the 2015 season, the team announced on Wednesday.

The University elected to leave the MAC after the conference exercised a contract clause that gave UMass the choice between becoming a full member of the MAC in all sports or leave the conference after two more years as a football-only member, according to a news release.

According to ESPN, UMass was offered full membership to the MAC last month and ultimately declined. The Minutemen have been football-only members since its move to Football Bowl Subdivision in 2012.

The University has already begun conducting a study of its future options with Carr Sports Consulting — the same firm that assisted in the coaching search that led to the hiring of Mark Whipple — according to the news release.

“While the report is not complete,” Athletic Director John McCutcheon said in the release, “we believe full membership for all sports in the MAC is not a good fit for us. Because most of the MAC schools are in the Midwest, the additional travel would strain our athletic budget and pose considerable time management challenges for our student athletes. We are confident that, within the next two years, we will find a more suitable conference for our FBS football program.”

“This is not the outcome we anticipated when UMass was admitted as a football-only member,” MAC commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher said in a statement Wednesday. “However, circumstances changed regarding our football membership and this is a result of those circumstances.”

McCutcheon said the program remains “committed to FBS football. Many institutions have successfully navigated this challenging period of conference realignment and we will do the same.”

“I was aware of this possibility when I accepted the position of head coach, and I believe this move is in the university’s best interest,” Whipple said. “My focus is on building a program that we all can be proud of and that provides a great experience for our student athletes.”

UMass is in the Atlantic 10 for all other sports except for hockey (Hockey East) and men’s lacrosse (Colonial Athletic Association).

The decision to leave the MAC ends the men’s basketball scheduling agreement that requires each team to play four MAC opponents.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.