UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

After trying freshman season, UMass football’s Lorenzo Woodley excited to play in offensive system that ‘fits my running style’

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

When Lorenzo Woodley looked at the numbers – 6,250 career rushing yards and 58 career touchdowns – he couldn’t help but get excited about learning from his newest running backs coach, former Massachusetts football star Marcel Shipp.

“I don’t know how he did it,” Woodley said with a grin.

Under the tutelage of Shipp and a new offensive system implemented by UMass coach Mark Whipple, Woodley is looking to become a star in his own right after a disappointing freshman year.

The 6-foot, 215-pound back was the prize of Charley Molnar’s 2013 recruiting class and entered his freshman season with incredible expectations. But nagging lower-body injuries limited him to just 314 yards and two touchdowns on 84 carries.

In the midst of his first spring camp, Woodley is excited for a new start. He used his freshman year to “get all the jitters out” and has spent the offseason in the weight room to physically prepare himself for his sophomore season.

Most importantly, he’s finally feeling healthy.

“I feel like my injury has recovered tremendously since the season ended, but I’m still trying to get back to where I was before my injury,” Woodley said.

Despite missing four games and taking limited snaps, the Miami native said there was plenty to learn from his trying freshman season in terms of preparation, staying healthy and his overall football knowledge that he can apply both in practice and on Aug. 30 in the Minutemen’s season opener against Boston College.

“I’m gonna be a lot smarter going into the season learning how to read defenses, offensive schemes, learning how to read my blocks and physically being bigger, stronger and faster from all the winter workouts and the conditioning in the summer,” Woodley said. “I think I’ll be way more prepared than I was last year.”

Woodley may also be the biggest beneficiary of the Minutemen’s offseason coaching change.

After spending last season in Charley Molnar’s spread offense, Woodley is back in a pro-style offense under Whipple that is similar to the system he ran at Christopher Columbus High School, something he said he’s more comfortable in.

“I feel like this new offensive scheme fits my running style,” he said. “This is the type of scheme I played in high school and the type of scheme I’ve been used to running my entire time playing football. I feel like this is the type of offense I belong in, and I’m very excited to see what I can do this year.”

Woodley is one of six running backs expected to be on the UMass roster come training camp, and with the return of Jordan Broadnax and another highly touted incoming freshman in J.T. Blyden, the competition for the starting job will be intensified come August.

If Woodley can be the player that ran for 163 yards on 38 carries in his first-career start Nov. 2 against Northern Illinois, his spot atop the depth chart may be secured.

Whether or not he will be that go-to player out of the backfield next year is unclear, but he believes he’s ready for that kind of responsibility.

“I can be a workhorse and I can take over a game and wear down defenses,” Woodley said. “I just feel like 25 carries a game, that would be great. I feel like I can be that type of back that can carry the workload.”

It would make quite impression on his new coaches as well.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.