Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Seniors pave way for No. 10 UMass women’s lacrosse in rout of George Washington

Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian

Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian

Throughout the season, Massachusetts women’s lacrosse coach Angela McMahon has stressed the importance of a balanced contribution on offense and the development of younger players.

However, in Friday’s 20-6 victory over George Washington, it was the reliable corps of seniors led by Katie Ferris, Sam Rush and Tanner Guarino that propelled the No. 10 Minutewomen (12-1, 3-0 Atlantic 10) to their highest scoring output of the season.

The trio combined to score the first 10 UMass goals of the game to open up a 10-2 lead with nine minutes, 50 seconds left in the first half. The Minutewomen would never trail in the affair.

“I think they’re really on the same page with one another,” McMahon said of the seniors. “One thing that I thought they did a great job of was making all of their shots count.”

Following a goal by sophomore Rory Sadoff, Rush would then tally another score with 23 seconds left to send UMass into halftime with a 12-3 advantage.

Ferris finished with five goals and one assist, Rush had four goals and Guarino had three goals and two assists before all being rested midway through the second half along with the majority of other Minutewomen starters.

“I think we were all just fired up and ready to go,” Ferris said.

According to McMahon, the senior group paced “one of the better shooting days” that the team has had all season, as improving its shooting percentage has been UMass’s goal since conference play began.

“We don’t want to just shoot to shoot. We want to shoot to score,” Ferris said. “We just need to be taking the right shots.”

The Minutewomen’s offensive success continued in the second half with a 6-1 run in the final 17 minutes of play behind goals by Erika Eipp, Amy Tiernan, Ellie Bullitt and a pair from Eileen McDonald.

After the game, McMahon particularly took note of Tiernan’s offensive presence and said that it will be needed going forward.

“(Tiernan’s) just one of the people who really epitomizes doing all the dirty work and she takes a lot of pride in that,” McMahon said. “She had a great game because she was still causing turnovers and getting groundballs but then she was also able to help us offensively which is great.”

Ferris added that McDonald is “proving herself and really stepping up.”

“(McDonald has) definitely dug in,” Ferris said. “She has a 100 percent shooting percentage, which I think is awesome especially coming off the bench.”

McDonald now has six goals on six shot attempts for the season.

As for the Colonials (5-7, 1-2 A-10), who came into Friday’s matchup averaging over 12 goals per game —good for the third highest mark in the A-10 — their six-goal day stands as their lowest scoring performance of the season.

In particular, the Minutewomen contained junior attacker Jamie Bumgardner, who leads George Washington with 54 points for the season. Bumgardner was held to one goal on one shot on Friday.

“It was a total defensive effort but I thought that Kate and Anne Farnham really stepped up today to limit (Bumgardner),” McMahon said.

After traveling to the nation’s capital for their first road game in more than three weeks, UMass will return home to McGuirk Stadium for their next game on Sunday against George Mason.

The game, which will honor the Minutewomen’s seven seniors as part of their Senior Day celebration, is set to start at 1 p.m.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.