UMass student charged in connection with alleged involvement in racist vandalisms -

Monday, October 20, 2014

BREAKING: Police investigating death of 21-year-old female in McNamara Hall -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Protect Our Breasts runs Breast Cancer Awareness campaign -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Underclassmen lead UMass hockey to first victory of the season -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Super Smash Bros. 3DS: A classic revitalized -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Improve the FAC -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass women’s soccer shut out by Rhode Island -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students at UMass rally to show support for Hong Kong -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Duolingo makes learning a language easier -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass field hockey gets back to .500 with win over BU Sunday -

Monday, October 20, 2014

‘Columbus Day’ demonstrates ignorant view of the past -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Students for Justice in Palestine aims to spread awareness, not argue -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mending fences: SGA and Amherst officials work together to improve town/gown relations -

Monday, October 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer drops 5-0 decision to Saint Louis -

Monday, October 20, 2014

The Phablet continues to grow and maintain popularity -

Monday, October 20, 2014

Dayton Flyers soar at Rudd Field, 4-1 over the Minutemen -

Sunday, October 19, 2014

UMass football’s Sharpe continues his banner season in 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shadrach Abrokwah has career day in UMass football’s 36-14 win over Eastern Michigan. -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

UMass tops Eastern Michigan 36-14, puts together first FBS winning streak -

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Seniors pave way for No. 10 UMass women’s lacrosse in rout of George Washington

Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian

Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian

Throughout the season, Massachusetts women’s lacrosse coach Angela McMahon has stressed the importance of a balanced contribution on offense and the development of younger players.

However, in Friday’s 20-6 victory over George Washington, it was the reliable corps of seniors led by Katie Ferris, Sam Rush and Tanner Guarino that propelled the No. 10 Minutewomen (12-1, 3-0 Atlantic 10) to their highest scoring output of the season.

The trio combined to score the first 10 UMass goals of the game to open up a 10-2 lead with nine minutes, 50 seconds left in the first half. The Minutewomen would never trail in the affair.

“I think they’re really on the same page with one another,” McMahon said of the seniors. “One thing that I thought they did a great job of was making all of their shots count.”

Following a goal by sophomore Rory Sadoff, Rush would then tally another score with 23 seconds left to send UMass into halftime with a 12-3 advantage.

Ferris finished with five goals and one assist, Rush had four goals and Guarino had three goals and two assists before all being rested midway through the second half along with the majority of other Minutewomen starters.

“I think we were all just fired up and ready to go,” Ferris said.

According to McMahon, the senior group paced “one of the better shooting days” that the team has had all season, as improving its shooting percentage has been UMass’s goal since conference play began.

“We don’t want to just shoot to shoot. We want to shoot to score,” Ferris said. “We just need to be taking the right shots.”

The Minutewomen’s offensive success continued in the second half with a 6-1 run in the final 17 minutes of play behind goals by Erika Eipp, Amy Tiernan, Ellie Bullitt and a pair from Eileen McDonald.

After the game, McMahon particularly took note of Tiernan’s offensive presence and said that it will be needed going forward.

“(Tiernan’s) just one of the people who really epitomizes doing all the dirty work and she takes a lot of pride in that,” McMahon said. “She had a great game because she was still causing turnovers and getting groundballs but then she was also able to help us offensively which is great.”

Ferris added that McDonald is “proving herself and really stepping up.”

“(McDonald has) definitely dug in,” Ferris said. “She has a 100 percent shooting percentage, which I think is awesome especially coming off the bench.”

McDonald now has six goals on six shot attempts for the season.

As for the Colonials (5-7, 1-2 A-10), who came into Friday’s matchup averaging over 12 goals per game —good for the third highest mark in the A-10 — their six-goal day stands as their lowest scoring performance of the season.

In particular, the Minutewomen contained junior attacker Jamie Bumgardner, who leads George Washington with 54 points for the season. Bumgardner was held to one goal on one shot on Friday.

“It was a total defensive effort but I thought that Kate and Anne Farnham really stepped up today to limit (Bumgardner),” McMahon said.

After traveling to the nation’s capital for their first road game in more than three weeks, UMass will return home to McGuirk Stadium for their next game on Sunday against George Mason.

The game, which will honor the Minutewomen’s seven seniors as part of their Senior Day celebration, is set to start at 1 p.m.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.