Pro-war, not protest

Why do people protest in the first place? In general, people protest because they know that they have a right to freedom of speech and the government has sworn to uphold this right. It seems to me that everyone has an opinion, and everybody wants to share that with the world, like it or not. However, their protests are falling on deaf ears.

The protesters are arguing that we are in Iraq for the wrong reasons. They say that there is no reason why we should be there in the first place. Well, since everyone is choosing to voice their opinion on the matter, I think I might as well. They say that we should stay out of Iraq and just ignore what is going on. I believe that we have already tried a similar policy, which proved to be quite unsuccessful.

About 10-years-ago at a senate meeting, an FBI agent brought up a situation concerning foreign policy. He stated that there was a man by the name of Osama Bin Laden that was gaining great following in Afghanistan. He suggested that certain measures be undertaken to stop this threat, a proposal that was ultimately dismissed by former senator Al Gore. Al Gore didn’t react to this situation because it wasn’t what the people wanted. It wasn’t going to get him votes so why would he waste his time? Eventually Osama bin Laden would, as we all know, mastermind a terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001.

I know that all of you are reading this and wondering, “why is he telling us that, it has nothing to do with Iraq.” You are absolutely right, but it does show you what could potentially happen should we stay removed from foreign affairs. These protesters are acting like Saddam Hussein is the good guy. He needs to be taken out of power. He has caused deaths of 1.5 million people. Half of those people have been his own. Furthermore, Saddam has torched oil fields and poisoned and drained the marshes in southern Iraq so that the rebels cannot hide from him.

Also, the intelligence we gather isn’t from U.N. inspectors, but rather it’s from Iraqi defectors that tell us about the weapons he has. I understand that war will bring about the death of innocent people, but military intervention can potentially prevent death and suffering on a much greater level. It did in Yugoslavia. If these protesters are so concerned for the lives of the Iraqi people then why wouldn’t they want to put a stop to them being tortured and raped?

Some protesters say that it’s not right for the United States to stop violence with more violence. They think that it is wrong. It is kind of ironic that some protesters who say this can be later found engaging in violent protests. Some of the protesters have thrown rocks at British and U.S. embassies. They have also burned a figure that is made to look like Bush. Some protesters, here in America mind you, have burned the American flag. Now I’m sorry, I do agree with the right to free speech, but if you have the audacity to burn the American flag then I suggest that you get out of the country. That is insulting every person that has honored that flag and died for your freedom.

Most protesters are wondering why people are telling them to support the troops. They say they aren’t protesting the troops but the decision for war. Why are they chanting “you are killing innocent people?” Who do they think the “you” is? Bush isn’t out on the battlefield. They are yelling at the troops who need our support the most. They have no choice in the matter. People are mean towards the soldiers when they are also home. A couple soldiers have told me that they are called baby killers by different people who are against the war, and have had drinks thrown in their face for fighting for the country. These protesters wouldn’t fight for the country.

My brother is in the Air Force right now stationed in Italy, while my close friend is in the Marines waiting to be sent to Kuwait, and I am so proud of them. I am also very protective which is why it bothers me that they are putting their lives at risk for people who don’t even care about them. Please be mindful of the troops. The time for stating your opinion is over.