Getting antsy in Jerusalem

They all look the same, they invade your land, they reproduce like rabbits, and they’re everywhere. Some would call you an extremist, but all you want to do is eradicate them. They’re a serious problem here in Jerusalem, and many of them are scary. Talking to them is useless; they simply will not listen.

They’re ants, and I’ve never seen anything like them. The other day, as I ate my chocolate pudding, a small drop landed on the floor. Within an hour, dozens of tiny red ants engulfed the sugary treat, carrying their prize back home. They’re crawling everywhere-on my seats, on the walls, and in the bathroom. Back at the University of Massachusetts, a dropped piece of food would remain there petrified and untouched until rediscovery at the end of May.

Other than that, the dorms are a small upgrade, with mini kitchens and bathrooms in each flat. While most of you were lazily sleeping away your summers, I began my junior year abroad at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem at the start of August. Hundreds of students from over 30 countries representing diverse faiths and backgrounds are enrolled here, providing for a very interesting program.

The university also has a unique and impressive history. Founded in the 1920’s, at a time when Jews were denied admission to many universities throughout the world, Hebrew U. was a place where Jews could study and thrive. Freud, Einstien, and Buber have all served on the university’s board of directors, ensuring its success.

In Israel’s 1948 War for Independence the areas surrounding the campus were captured by Jordan, isolating the university and making it unusable until Mount Scopus was liberated in 1967.

Rather than R.A.’s we have security guards. Rather than fraternities, we have fences. Our college sport teams are non-existent, and we lack a school mascot. Rather than uniting under a team, people are connected by the love for Jerusalem, a city that has no rival.

Six mornings a week I begin my five hours of intensive Hebrew study with a 20-minute hike uphill to the campus atop Mount Scopus. On my way I pass the three armed security guards stationed outside my dorm 24/7 to ensure my protection. Just a simple walk to campus is rich in history and mix of cultures. To my right I overlook the beautiful old city of Jerusalem, including the 1300-year-old Al-Aqsa mosque and The Dome of the Rock.

A bit further up my walk is a church and cemetery for the fallen British soldiers of WWI. I continue walking and pass Hadassah Hospital, from where I hear the occasional roar of ambulance sirens. Even the hospital, which serves all, is not immune to terror attacks, and a line of cars waits to enter as security checks every driver and each and every trunk is opened and searched.

I’m only five minutes away when I pass by Aroma, a caf