Frat Row could be purchased for $2.5 million

An official document of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees, as well as a source involved in the UMass-Alpha Tau Gamma, Inc. Frat Row deal, say that the five parcels on North Pleasant St. will be sold for about $2.5 million.

The document, dated Aug. 23, 2006, lists the approved projects for the fiscal years 2007-11 University Capital Plan. The document also states the total projected cost of each approved project.

The 14th item listed is the “ATG North Pleasant St. Property Purchase,” which pertains to the five pieces of land located at 375, 387, 389, 395 and 401 North Pleasant St. It states that the “Total Project Cost Est.,” for those pieces of property is $2,500,000.

“That’s a reasonable estimate provided to the board, but I don’t know if that’s the final figure, I expect it’s close to it,” said Ed Blaguszewski, Director of News and Information at UMass. “My understanding is they haven’t signed the final agreement, and thus, the final figure isn’t in stone.”

Blaguszewski said each year UMass officials go before the Board of Trustees to get the Capital Plan approved. He said without board approval, the University cannot pursue the projects.

“Whether that is the construction of a new building, the renovation of a current building, or the purchase of property, it ties into the capital needs of the University,” said Blaguszewski. “If we didn’t have the trustee’s authority in advance to do that, then we couldn’t close the deal, for instance, on the properties.”

A source close to the Frat Row deal, however, said the $2.5 million is “an accurate figure,” and it is in fact the amount that UMass plans to pay for the properties.

The five houses currently sitting on the land have been vacant since the conclusion of last semester. Negotiations between UMass and ATG have been ongoing since 2003.

ATG submitted a demolition permit to have the five houses razed, but a start time has not been confirmed, said Bonita Weeks, the Town of Amherst Inspection Services Building Commissioner.

Gary Shepherd, a representative from ATG said in a telephone interview on Monday that he hopes to have the buildings destroyed within the next month, but that “we’re having issues with trespassing and destruction of property.”

Last Sunday morning at 4 a.m., Amherst Fire Dept. officials say that the five vacant houses were broken into, and an old couch in the 375 North Pleasant St. house was set on fire. No one was arrested following the fire.