SAG Awards Fashion: Hits and Misses

Awards season is upon us. Although I hate the dreary months of January and February, I love the award shows that come with it. The competition that is almost as hard as winning an award itself is the ranking of best and worst dressed. Now, I’m no expert, but this is one fashion interested, college student’s opinion.

BEST DRESSED:

danes yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Claire Danes
I love “My So Called Life” and have missed seeing Claire Danes’s face on the red carpet. I love her in this Louis Vuitton gown. I usually hate florals when they involve such evening wear like these awards shows call for, but this just worked. The long belt, color combination and her shade of lipstick really pull this dress together for a very elegant look.

Agron Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Dianna Agron
I swear, this girl could wear a garbage bag and still look good. To my surprise, a lot of people did not like this one-of-a-kind Chanel dress on the Glee star. I agree that her makeup is a little too dark and the cut of the dress is awkward (I wish it was either a bit longer or shorter). Despite her being lumped into many people’s “Worst Dressed” category, she goes on my best.

Steinfeld Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Hailee Steinfeld
I could kick myself for not seeing “True Grit” yet, but I hear this 14-year-old puts on quite the performance. She looked so classy, yet young at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards, I feel like she just wanted to have some fun. The Prada Striped dress is different, bold, and very age appropriate.

Morris Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Heather Morris
Heather truly looked like a princess. Her Romona Keveza gown managed to incorporate feathers, crystals, and diamonds all without looking too much. She looked effortless and I loved that she decided to keep her hair and makeup so simple.

Jones Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

January Jones
I am well aware that absolutely no one will agree with me on this one, but I can’t help but love this gown. This Carolina Herrera dress is as conservative as you can get and she still looks like the epitome of glamour and old Hollywood.

Mays Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Jayma Mays
Jenny Packham is one of my favorite designers and Jayma did not disappoint in this peach gown. The jewel accent on right shoulder, relaxed hair and modest amount of jewelry really compliment the rest of the dress and Jayma, as always, looked adorable.

Stiles Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Julia Stiles
I really wish Julia had smiled more in the red carpet photos. She looked so lovely in a Monique Lhuillier gown, yet her heavy makeup and lack of smile make her look miserable. Anyway, after having not seeing her lately, this dress was the perfect comeback. I think the fading effect is really unique and I love the blue on her.

McDonald Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Kelly McDonald
I may be blindsided by the “Boardwalk Empire” star’s talent, or the fact I am just coming off loving sparkles (the holidays always make me love and buy sparkly clothing in insane amounts) but I really love this dress. The gold looks beautiful splashed across an otherwise classic (and almost boring) black dress.

kunis Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Mila Kunis
Mila takes home best-dressed of the evening for me. This red Alexander McQueen gown looked perfect on her. The dress is fun, sexy, and she looked stunning, completely stealing the show.

portman Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Natalie Portman
This is a complete upgrade from the monstrosity that was her Golden Globes dress. Natalie looks great in her Azzaro gown and we finally get to see her baby bump! Apparently, she was wearing more than $2 million of Tiffany jewelry, which has its own body guard!

Fey Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Tina Fey
I am so proud of Tina. She doesn’t usually have the best dress selections, but this Oscar de la Renta gown looked incredible on her. The loose bun and jeweled earrings completed the look, making her look like a bombshell.

Worst Dressed

Hershey Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Barbara Hershey
This dress is almost as terrifying as her character as the mother in “Black Swan”. The flowers (are those flowers?) are randomly splotched all over the black silk frock. It does absolutely nothing for her.

Hendricks Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Christina Hendricks
With Christina Hendricks’ fiery locks and curves, she can usually pull anything off, but no one can look good in this catastrophe. She looks like a hot mess and the dress, or robe, is just baffling. Chrsitina in L’Wren Scott is probably at the top of my list for worst dressed.

Lynch Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Jane Lynch
I want to like it, I really do- I mean its Jane Lynch! But, this lavender Ali Rahimi gown is too young, too much and it’s just not right for Jane. This dress should only be pulled out of the closet for dress-up purposes, not for the SAG Awards.

Fisher Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Jenna Fischer
What is this? Is it made out of cotton? I didn’t even try to like this, in fact, I hate everything about it: the short sleeves, the cut at the top, the awkward train and color. I’m really hoping this looked much better in person than it does photographed, because from here, I absolutely hate it.

Ushkowitz Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Jenna Ushkowitz
Before we get to the dress, why is she posing like that in almost every single picture? And what’s on her arm? Nothing here works for me. The jewelry and dress almost clash, the bottom half of the dress is way too much and her lipstick is too dark. One of the worst dressed of the night.

Lawrence Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Jennifer Lawrence
I tried really hard to like this. Jennifer is a gorgeous girl. I love Oscar de la Renta and the fact that she made such a bold decision with this hue of pink, but I just can’t. I don’t like the detail on the shoulder or the black bow around her waist. Also, the black on the dress and her shoes are way too matchy-matchy for me. I would have liked a different color shoe.

Mara Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Kate Mara
This Herve Leger dress scares me. If the ruffles at the bottom of the dress were cut off, her headband was taken out in place of loose curls and a smile was on her face, I think this look would have worked. Instead, Kate was undoubtedly, for everyone, one of the worst dressed of the night.

Kardashian Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Kim Kardashian
I wanted to cry a little when I saw Kim in this Marchesa gown. This looks like a cheap prom dress and does not do her justice at all. In fact, she looks sloppy and I think she could have done a lot better.

de la huerta Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Paz de la Huerta
I want someone to put on a lighter shade of lipstick on this woman’s lips just for once. The dress is too tighter on her and again, I hate the lipstick. She looks like such a hot mess in all the photos, I wonder if she was even sober. Anyway, I hate the look.

Ryder Yahoo
Courtesy of Yahoo

Winona Ryder
Is Winona getting married in this gown? The bodice on the Alberta Feretti gown is too tight- her boobs are almost to her neck. Her purse does not match the dress at all and I really wish she did something different with her hair. This look isn’t the worst of the night, but its still pretty bad.

And there you have it! We still have the Grammys and Oscars coming up, with plenty of dresses in between. Let’s hope the musicians in the industry can dress better than some of these movie stars at the SAG Awards!

Kim Giordano can be reached at [email protected].