Blarney blowout continues: DIY drinks

Does Irish whiskey make you frisky? Are you particularly partial to wearing green? Are the Dropkick Murphys your all-time favorite band? Do you like to get drunk quickly? Are you not really a fan of Guinness? If the answer is yes to any or all of the above, follow these recipes for some good, green Irish intoxication.

1. Everybody’s Irish

For one day of the year, everyone is Irish and thus, everyone must drink like a true Irishman. Mix two ounces of Irish whiskey, one tablespoon each of green crème de menthe and green Chartreuse. By mixing all types of Irish alcohol, you’ll feel very festive.

2. Irish Coffee

For all of you who want to get up as early as the bars will let you in to commence drinking, but need some caffeine to help you wake up, try this well-known recipe. Mix one and a half ounces of Irish whiskey with strong hot coffee, and top with whipped cream and brown sugar for a powerful morning wake-up.

3. Leprechaun

Not feeling naturally lucky today? Get a little Leprechaun in you and maybe that luck will change. Mix two ounces of Irish whiskey and tonic water, and garnish with a lemon to make this lucky liquid.

4. Green Goblin

Looking to get spooky this St. Patrick’s Day? Try this recipe that will give you the chills. This recipe will require a variety of different alcohols, but the result will be a sweet and sour potion. Mix one ounce of peach schnapps, one ounce of vodka, one ounce of coconut rum, and one ounce of green apple schnapps. Finish it all off with sweet and sour mix. Be sure not to drink too many of these or you’ll end up looking a little ghoulish by the end of the day.

5. Irish Car Bomb

If you thought that car bombs would never actually kill you, think again – this mixture is deadly. Fill three quarters of a pint glass with Guinness and top with a half shot of Irish whiskey. Pour a shot of Baileys Irish cream in a separate shot glass. Drop the shot glass into the mixture and chug as the flavors mix together to form a fizzy and foamy mess.

6. Nutty Irishman

For a shot that will leave you feeling nutty after just a few, try this recipe. Fill half a shot glass with Irish cream liqueur and fill the rest with Frangelico. Because the shot does not include any particularly potent alcohol, it goes down easy and will more than adequately get you started.

7. Shamrocked

Arguably a new synonym for “wasted,” getting “shamrocked” will leave you feeling green into the next morning. This drink combines fruity and Irish flavors that provide for a sweet and simple drink. Mix two ounces of Midori melon liqueur with one ounce each of Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey and Irish cream liqueur. Shake the ingredients together and enjoy.

8. Irish Blond

Like blondes as much as you like drinking? Can’t actually get a blonde to be by your side for the day’s events? Try this recipe that will mix blondes, booze, and fun. Mix two ounces of Irish whiskey, three quarters of an ounce of orange curacao, one quarter Fino sherry, and orange bitters.

9. Green Mist

Looking for a light concoction that is both fruity and fantastic? Mix a half ounce of banana liqueur, a half ounce of cherry brandy and one ounce of green crème de menthe. Top the glass with ginger ale and enjoy.

10. Emerald Isle

Though you may not be able to afford the plan ticket to Dublin this year, this recipe will transport at least your mind and taste buds there. For the easiest recipe on the list, mix one teaspoon of crème de menthe with one ounce of gin and enjoy over ice.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].