Blue Hens trounce rivals, Monarchs win

In only its second regular season meeting ever, No. 7 Delaware defeated rival Delaware State, 45-0, Saturday, improving to a 2-1 record on the year.

Courtesy Delaware Media Relations
Courtesy Delaware Media Relations

The Blue Hens dominated every facet of the game, outgaining the Hornets by 400 yards (512-112) while also forcing three turnovers. Delaware’s defense was especially stout against the run, as DSU finished in the negative for rushing yards.

Quarterback Tim Donnelly paced the Blue Hens air attack completing 13 of 14 passes for 221 yards. The rushing attack was just as impressive as two players ran for over 100-yards. Sophomore Walter Davis carried the ball 19 times for a total of 108 yards while fellow sophomore Andrew Pierce scored three touchdowns to go along with 15 carries for 106 yards.

The scoring started early in the first quarter when Donnelly hit wide receiver Colin Naugle for a 43-yard touchdown. Delaware went on to add four more scores in the first half alone.

The Blue Hens take on conference rival Old Dominion (3-0) next week, while the Hornets will try to regroup against South Carolina State (1-2).

Monarchs sink Pirates

The Hampton and Old Dominion football teams treated the 19,818 in attendance at S.B. Ballard stadium to a shootout Saturday night, combining for 87 points and 788 yards, but in the end, it was the Monarchs who sent fans home happy as they came away with a 45-42 victory.

The game featured six lead changes as both offenses were able to go up and down the field with ease.

The Pirates found most of their success on the ground where they churned out 219 yards while Hampton had better luck with its passing attack, tallying 260 yards through the air.

The game actually got off to a slow start as neither team was able to put any points on the board in the first quarter. From the second quarter on, however, both squads found their offensive rhythms, trading blows up until the final whistle.

Hampton led 27-24 after three quarters, but the Monarchs outscored them, 21-15, in the final frame to come away with the victory. Senior Thomas DeMarco was the difference for the Monarchs as the dual threat quarterback ran for 2 scores in the fourth quarter to put Old Dominion ahead to stay.

Two Dukes gain CAA honors

It was a special weekend for the James Madison football team as two of its players received CAA Player of the Week honors following an exciting win over No. 22 Liberty.

Sophomore placekicker Cameron Starke was named CAA Special Teams Player of the Week after hitting both his field goal attempts, including a 40-yard kick as time expired to seal the victory. He also converted on all three of his extra-point attempts.

The second Duke to gain CAA honors was sophomore running back Dae’Quan Scott. He rushed for 126 yards on 29 carries and scored three touchdowns. The tailback also caught three balls and accounted for more than half of JMU’s overall offensive plays. This game marked the second consecutive week of at least 100 rushing yards for Scott, and his three scores were a career high.

Greg Romagna can be reached at [email protected].