Boston College to drop UMass from hoop schedule

Erica Baptiste/Collegian

The annual “Commonwealth Classic” basketball game between Massachusetts and Boston College has been put to a halt – at least for the time being.

According to a Daily Hampshire Gazette report, UMass athletic director John McCutcheon confirmed that the Eagles would be dropping the Minutemen from their schedule beginning next season. He cited that BC’s Atlantic Coast Conference schedule expansion from 16 to 18 games was the reason for calling off the rivalry game.

“They informed us because of the expanded ACC schedule that they didn’t feel that they could continue the series,” McCutcheon told the Gazette.

The decision will end a 17-year run in which the two schools have squared off against each other. The series was revived in 1995 when Marcus Camby led UMass to a 65-57 victory at a sold-out Fleet Center in Boston.

This season, the Minutemen traveled to Conte Forum and stomped the Eagles, 82-46, which was their first win over the in-state rivals since Derek Kellogg took over as head coach four years ago.

The win paved the way for a strong season for UMass in which it finished 25-12 and advanced to the NIT semifinals. BC finished 9-22 and did not qualify for a postseason tournament.

Next season’s game was originally scheduled to be played at the Mullins Center.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.