Collegiate-approved beauty products

Flickr/Ookikioo

If Neutrogena’s latest Clean and Clear product, didn’t deliver Photoshop-perfect skin or if that must-have mascara turned you into a raccoon, we get it.

There are a lot of crappy products out there these days accompanied by even crappier public relations.

It is hard to dig through the amount of supplies that society pushes into the market these days while knowing whether or not the purchase is worth it. In order to ease buyer’s remorse, the Massachusetts Daily Collegian has tested and approved some of the best beauty products on shelves today.

Hair

Keratin, Moroccan, Ojon. Sounds like a different language, right? But no, these are merely different types of hair treatments that many salons offer. Scared of salon expenses? No worries. These treatments can be done right at home with products like Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment. It’s a little pricey at $40 a bottle, but compared to getting monthly treatments at a salon it’s a steal. Miracle Oil by Earthly Body costs $11 and works well as a cheaper alternative that can also be used on cuts, sunburns, cuticles and more.

Another great hair product is Got2B Fat-tastic Mega-Lift Root-Boosting Spray. When your hair is an uncooperative, flat and lifeless lump, this root spray can lift and plump up your locks, leaving you with bouncy and voluminous hair. Just a couple sprits of this will do it and the bottle lasts a lifetime.

Is your hair feeling too dry even after conditioning? Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in Cream is a solution to some of your haystack hair worries. While your hair is still damp, run this leave-in through your mane. After it dries you will be able to feel the silky effect it has on your hair. Not to mention it also makes your hair dry faster after a shower. The price is right, too. A 6-ounce bottle runs for around $7 at most drugstores.

Eyes

Many women have single eyelids, or monolids. This means that the eyelid doesn’t “fold” on the top or folds under the skin above the eyes, creating excess oil. These women are unintentional experts in the art of raccoon camouflage. For those of you that don’t want to look like a furry four-legged creature, try Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24-Hour Cream Gel Shadow (dang that’s a mouthful). A cream gel-based shadow, this product lasts forever on the eyes no matter what type of eyelids you have, monolid peeps included. This stuff actually stays true to its name and stays on for 24 hours. Choose from neutral or vibrant shades depending on your mood.

Don’t like the cream shadow feel, but are frustrated by looking like a garbage rummaging bandit? Relax! E.l.f Cosmetics has got your back, er, eyes! Their mineral eye primer will make the most un-pigmented, most smudge-prone eye shadow, stick and shine.

Searching for long-lasting eye liner to match those new shadow tones? MAC Liquidlast Liner is a must-have product. MAC is on the expensive side, but you’ll save in the end without having to reapply. If you want something that will never smudge, this eyeliner is for you. You can go to sleep with it and wake up with it still on perfectly. I repeat, worth the money.

For lashes that lack that extra something, Hypnose Mascara by Lancôme will pump up the volume. One coat of this formula will instantly make your lashes have that wow factor. Add the MAC liner and the color tattoo shadow for an excellent night out makeup kit.

Another MAC product, the Studio Fix Fluid with SPF 15, is a great foundation that provides even coverage hiding any blemish. The foundation won’t run and will protect you daily in the sun.

Cheeks

The sun-kissed look is all the rage these days, and Baked Bronzer by Hard Candy can help you achieve the look. Using a wide brush – try a kabuki brush – dust the powder on cheek bones, forehead and then on the rest of your face for some contour. The product is a swirl of light and darker bronze colors so that your face doesn’t end up looking like burnt toast.

To bring some peachy color to your cheeks, you just need an orgasm. That’s correct –  NARS Orgasm Blush adds just the right glow to the apple of your cheeks by bringing color to your face. Containing gold flecks, the blush brings out any skin tone, making your face look fresh and healthy.

Skin Care

For many people, acne seems like the equivalent of the plague. It keeps coming back no matter what they do and scars them physically and emotionally (think nicknames like BP Oil … ouch). However, a new booming corporation called Market America has a solution that gives fantastic results that can be compared to photoshopped skin without Adobe Photoshop.

Timeless Prescription’s Anti-aging Skincare 3-step Acne Care System is like magic in a bottle. It comes with a cleanser, toner and lotion that include all natural products like witch hazel and aloe to rejuvenate your skin. The product also includes benzoyl peroxide to help skin cells shed and grow faster.

“Ew, anti-aging? I’m not old!” It doesn’t matter, Timeless Prescription is for all ages and you certainly won’t regret buying it young.

So maybe you don’t have acne, but instead the Sahara Desert decided to relocate on your face. Surprisingly, a drugstore item can flash flood that desert and replace it with fresh, soft skin. Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream, which is also anti-aging, is a rich formula that moisturizes your face to produce softness like a baby’s bottom, minus all the other nastiness of a baby’s bottom.

“Hey, I told you I’m not old, why do you keep giving me grandma stuff?” Actually, anti-aging products are great for young skin because they repair damaged skin cells as well as provide extra nutrients to the skin. You’ll be thankful later when you look as young as Zooey Deschanel but are as old as Betty White.

Speaking of face moisturizers, Aveeno is an all-natural body lotion that gives the skin a satin-y feel. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion is noncomedogenic and gentle enough for sensitive skin. For an all-natural product, Aveeno really outdoes itself with improving skin quality.

If lotion isn’t your deal, give a cream oil body wash like Nivea Touch of Sparkle a try. With a light floral scent, Nivea ToS gives you soft skin right out of the shower.

Nails

Goopy nail polish is never fun and always difficult to work with. Deborah Lippmann polish is an amazing brand of nail polish that goes on quick and even. Wicked Game is a great iridescent color that reflects purple and green tones to match any outfit. The polar-opposite colors actually complement each other very well and mimic the shades of sea glass.

Now, as we all know everyone is different and these products may not apply to some. These are only suggestions based on personal preference. However, some of the best products are those recommend to you by others. So select the area you wish to improve and get beautifying.

Eleine Fang can be reached at [email protected].