Caballero Larco earns gold for UMass crew team

Claudia Caballero Larco led the Massachusetts rowing team with a gold medal in the Open 1x at the Head of the Housatonic on Saturday in Derby, Conn.

The Minutewomen competed in the Open 1x, Open 2x, Collegiate 4+, Novice 8+ and Collegiate 8+, and had five boats earn top-three finishes in their individual races.

UMass had three players earn top-six finishes in the Open 1x as well. Hallie Dunlap finished third with a time of 20:34.7, with Rebecca Adams and Estefi Marti Malvido finishing right behind her in fourth and sixth place, respectively.

The Minutewomen snagged both second and third place in the Open 4x race.

In the Novice 8+, the Minutewomen finished third. In addition, three boats raced the Collegiate 8+, finishing in ninth, 16th and 19th.

After a strong performance in Oklahoma City to start the season, Lauren St. Pierre joined Marika Kopp to finish fifth in the Open 2x.

UMass coach Jim Dietz is especially excited this season as the class of 2017 continues to make an impact on the team.

“The difference between last year’s squad and this year’s squad is the incoming freshmen,” he said. “We are a better team this year.”

In the Collegiate 4+, freshman Emily Mann along with captain Taryn Wilson, Emily Hajjar, Nicole Juul-Hindsgaul and Allanah Rubi-Mooney finished in fifth place. Two more Minutewomen boats also raced and finished in sixth and 10th.

Up next for the Minutewomen is the Head of the Charles on Oct. 19- 20 in Boston.

Robert Acer can be reached at [email protected].