Hofstra, Drexel triumph, while Penn State falls below .500

Flickr/mike.viscardi
Flickr/mike.viscardi

The Hofstra men’s lacrosse team remained undefeated in conference play on Saturday with a 9-7 home win against Towson, in a battle between two of the top teams in the Colonial Athletic Association.

After an evenly played first quarter that ended tied 2-2, the Pride quickly took a 4-2 lead after scoring two goals in the first three minutes of the second quarter. The Tigers battled back and scored two goals of their own later in the quarter, finishing the first half tied 4-4.

Both teams exchanged quick goals to begin the third quarter before Hofstra scored three unanswered goals, leading 8-5 with 10 minutes remaining in the game. The Tigers added a couple goals in the fourth and brought the game to within one with seven minutes left, but ultimately came up short.

Senior Torin Varn and sophomore Sam Llinares led Hofstra offensively as both players recorded two goals and one assist each. Junior Korey Hendrickson also contributed with two goals for the Pride.

Towson freshman Joe Seider was the top goal scorer of the day, pitching in with four goals, while senior Thomas DeNapoli also added a goal and two assists for the Tigers.

Hofstra will look to continue their three game win streak when they host Siena on Saturday and Towson will look to return to their winning ways when it comes to Amherst to face Massachusetts on Saturday.

Drexel prevails over Delaware

The Drexel men’s lacrosse team earned its first conference win with a 9-7 road victory against Delaware on Saturday.

After a low scoring first quarter which ended tied 1-1, the Dragons offense exploded with four goals in the second quarter, going into halftime with a 5-2 lead. Drexel’s offensive success continued to start the second half thanks to two man-up goals.

The Blue Hens did not go away quietly as they scored three unanswered goals to end the third quarter and to begin the fourth. The team’s five goals in the second half were ultimately not enough to recover from a poor first half.

The Dragons’ offense was led by senior Nick Trizano and his hat-trick. Junior Ryan Belka showed off his scoring and passing abilities, picking up two goals and two assists in the victory. The CAA’s leading goal scorer senior Ben McIntosh also added two goals for Drexel.

Junior midfielder Beau Jones shined offensively for Delaware, picking up a hat-trick in the loss. Redshirt freshman Steve DeLargy also contributed to the Blue Hens attack, chipping in with a goal and an assist.

The Dragons return home for their next game against Penn State on Saturday, while the Blue Hens will attempt to end their three game skid when they travel to Manhattan for a non-conference game on Tuesday.

Penn State falls to Villanova

The Penn State men’s lacrosse team lost its second straight game on Saturday,falling to Villanova 9-7 at home, dropping to below .500 on the season.

The Wildcats got off to a hot start and led 3-1 heading into the second quarter. The Nittany Lions got their offense going in the second quarter with three goals, but they trailed Villanova 6-4 at the end of the first half as the Wildcats added another goal with just four seconds left in the half.

Villanova’s success continued in the second half as they added a few more goals within the first five minutes of the third quarter. Penn State ultimately came up short despite two fourth quarter tallies.

The Nittany Lions’ attack was led by senior Shane Sturgis who picked up two goals and an assist and junior Michael Richards also scored two goals in the loss. Senior goalkeeper Austin Kaut played well for PSU, recording 13 saves.

The Nittany Lions will travel to Drexel on Saturday in hopes of securing their first conference win of the season.

James Cushman can be reached at [email protected].