Bowling Green, Akron keep winning streaks alive

(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)
(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)

Bowling Green jumped out to an early 14-0 lead over Ohio and never looked back, as the Falcons won 31-13 in a Mid-American conference matchup Saturday afternoon.

Bowling Green (5-2, 3-0 MAC) started quickly. After the Falcons scored a touchdown on the first drive of the game, the Bobcats (3-4, 1-2 MAC) fumbled on the ensuing possession, and Bowling Green quickly capitalized to take a 14-0 lead less than three minutes into the game. Similar mistakes would haunt Ohio all afternoon. The Bobcats accumulated 513 yards of total offense, but fumbled twice and took 16 penalties for 153 yards.

Meanwhile, Bowling Green benefited from a balanced offensive attack. Quarterback James Knapke threw for 260 yards and two touchdowns, with his primary targets being Roger Lewis (six catches, 100 yards) and Ryan Burbrink (five catches, 77 yards, one touchdown). The 260-yard performance moved Knapke to 15th in the country in passing yardage this season. On the ground, Travis Greene led the way for the Falcons, rushing 10 times for 50 yards and a touchdown.

The win marks the third victory in a row for Bowling Green, and fifth win in the last six games overall. In that six-game stretch, the Falcons are averaging over 37 points per game.
Bowling Green will return to action Saturday against Western Michigan.

Akron wins third straight over Miami

Facing in-state rival Miami (Ohio), Akron pulled away in the fourth quarter on its way to a 29-19 victory against the Red Hawks Saturday.

After taking a 5-0 lead through one quarter (with scores coming off a safety and field goal), the Zips (4-2, 2-0 MAC) entered halftime with a 15-13 lead. But two second half touchdowns – including a 10-yard run by Jawon Chisholm with five minutes left in the game – allowed Akron to pull away late.

Chisholm was a workhorse for the Zips. He ran the ball 17 times for 102 yards and two touchdowns to pace the Akron offense.

For Miami (1-6, 1-2 MAC), quarterback Andrew Hendrix led the way with 352 passing yards and three touchdowns, but it was not enough to keep the Red Hawks close late in the game.

The Zips were relentless in their pursuit of Hendrix, sacking him nine times throughout the game. Nordly Capi, Jerome Lane and Justin March recorded two sacks each.

Akron will go on the road this Saturday, as it looka to extend its winning streak to four games against Ohio.

Central Michigan downs Northern Illinois

Central Michigan used a punishing ground attack Saturday afternoon to defeat Northern Illinois 34-17. Running back Thomas Rawls was spectacular for the Chippewas, carrying the ball 40 times for 270 yards and two touchdowns.

Central Michigan (4-3, 2-1 MAC) used its running game to control the tempo of the game, and nearly doubled the Huskies in time of possession. The Chippewas took a 21-7 lead into halftime and milked the clock in the second behind Rawls’ incredible afternoon.

For Northern Illinois (4-2, 1-1 MAC), it was an afternoon of frustration. The Huskies scored on their first possession of the game (a 20-yard pass from Drew Hare to Jewa Brescacin), but punted on their next five drives. They were 4-of-14 on third downs and never led again after surrendering an early 7-0 lead.

In the third quarter, Hare connected with Brescacin for the second time in the end zone to pull the Huskies within two scores of Central Michigan, 31-17. Unfortunately, the Chippewas ball possession in the second half proved too much for the Huskies, and they would not score again.

Central Michigan returns to action Saturday at 3:30 p.m. against Ball State.

Nick Souza can be reached at [email protected]