Thinking realistically: 2015 New Year’s resolutions

(Brett Jordan/Flickr)
(Brett Jordan/Flickr)

At one point in our lives, we have all attempted to become a better version of ourselves in the new year. We promise ourselves we’ll lose that extra 10 pounds, we promise ourselves that we’ll drop the nasty habit that is procrastination, we promise ourselves to just be better. The problem is, the goals that we set for ourselves to become better are naturally unattainable and unrealistic. January 1st likely isn’t going to be the day that you you’ll give up cookies forever or even keep your room tidy 24/7. For most people, it’s just not possible. It’s important to set goals for yourself, but it’s more important to not set yourself up for failure. Not to say that you shouldn’t strive for greatness, but as students, there are simply some resolutions that are far more realistic than others and can aid us in setting up a more successful future.

• Become better at budgeting your money.

Do you

really

need those heels? Will you wake up tomorrow morning be patting yourself on the back for buying three rounds of shots for your friends? Budgeting money means something different to all of us. Some people don’t need to worry about buying that extra pair of shoes, while some struggle to pay tuition on time. However, we can all agree on one thing: money doesn’t grow on trees. At some point, we won’t be able rely on our parents to fall back on when funds become scarce. Maybe you don’t have to worry about paying your car insurance or phone bill yet, but setting up a budget plan can help you save for future plans. Whether it be a backpack trip around Europe or an apartment in San Francisco, having money of your own as a safety net is important.

• Travel.

If I could, I would pack my bags tomorrow and buy the next one way ticket to anywhere. It’s incredible what you can learn about yourself when the familiar doesn’t surround you. Life is easy when you have a set routine in place. Having a routine is safe, it provides a feeling of content. Promise yourself to break that routine in 2015. You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to travel. You can drive 2 hours out of your way and explore something you’ve never seen before. Allow yourself to be open to what else the world has to offer you and you’d be amazed at the people and places you will find along the way.

• Stop watching so much Netflix.

I love Netflix as much as the next person, but seriously, shut your laptop and go do something. There are hundreds of NSO’s around campus to get involved with that are far more rewarding than watching “Dexter”or “House of Cards” for countless hours on end. You have the rest of your life to be a couch potato, take advantage of the minimal responsibilities you have now and pick up a new hobby.

• Become acquainted with the Rec Center.

Remember those 10 pounds you wanted to lose? You can make it happen. The gym is FREE (ahem, sort of) and this will probably be the only time in your life you’ll have free access to such a nice facility. There are many things in our lives that are out of our control, but the way we treat our bodies is something we can control. Hate the gym? Go for a hike and check out the beauty that western Massachusetts has to offer. You don’t need to completely alter your lifestyle or strive for a six-pack by graduation, but minor changes can make all the difference.

• Let them go.

Let him go. Let her go. Let anyone go who is no longer holds a fulfilling piece of your life. Moving on from past boyfriends, girlfriends, and even former best friends, is one of the hardest things you can do. By holding on, you’re simply holding yourself back. You’re holding onto your past, something that you shouldn’t define yourself by. Don’t allow anyone to come into the 2015 year with you who will only constantly remind you of the disappointments of the past. Focus on yourself and your happiness. Letting go doesn’t mean you’re erasing your past, it means that you’ve realized that the future holds so much more.

Beth Cormack can be reached at [email protected].