Woman charged in connection with pedestrian death of UMass student last July

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The 64-year-old woman who struck and killed a University of Massachusetts student on North East Street last July has been charged with negligent motor vehicle homicide, according to the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

Cynthia S. May, of Orleans, is scheduled to be arraigned April 17 at 2 p.m. in Hampshire Superior Court. Hannah Frilot, the 20-year-old UMass student from Arizona, was walking northbound along the right-hand side of the road when she was struck from behind by May’s vehicle just after 11 p.m., according to the District Attorney’s Office. Frilot was pronounced dead at the scene.

Negligent motor vehicle homicide is a misdemeanor, and can be punishable by up to two-and-a-half years in prison with an accompanying 15-year loss of license.

The accident was investigated by the Amherst Police Department, the Massachusetts State Police Detectives Unit attached to the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, and the Massachusetts State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section (CARS).

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AvivaLuttrell.