Patrick Archbald named interim chief of UMPD

Stephen Treat/Daily Collegian
John Horvath will be taking a job in the Rockport Police Department starting May 18. (Stephen Treat/Daily Collegian)

The University of Massachusetts has named Patrick Archbald interim chief of the UMass Police Department, effective May 11.

Archbald is currently a deputy chief of UMPD. The decision, made by Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life Enku Gelaye, comes following the news that current Chief John Horvath is leaving to take over as chief of the Rockport Police Department. Horvath will begin his new position May 18, according to a Rockport PD spokesperson.

“We thank him for his hard work and service,” said University spokesperson Edward Blaguszewski. “Now we are focused on the transitional leadership. We are confident in (Archbald’s) ability to do an excellent job.”

Horvath took over as the UMass police chief in fall 2012, replacing John Whitehead, who left in February 2012.

This will be Archbald’s third shift as interim chief – he also held the position for seven months after Whitehead left and for four months in 2003, according to a University news release. Archbald has been with UMPD since 1987.

Blaguszewski said that Gelaye hopes to put a search committee together soon, but details have not been finalized. The release indicated that a national search would be conducted. A timeline for the process has yet to be set.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.