UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime

Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian
Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian

After battling for 100 minutes to a scoreless tie, Utah Valley sophomore Austin Buxton scored with 45 seconds left in the first overtime period, handing the Massachusetts men’s soccer team a 1-0 sudden-death defeat to open the season.

The loss marks the beginning of the Fran O’Leary era for UMass as Friday’s season opener was the first game of his tenure as coach of the Minutemen (0-1). Despite the loss, O’Leary said there were positive steps taken.

“I thought we were terrific today. You remember they put five past us last year, four in the first 30 minutes,” O’Leary said, referring to a 5-1 loss UMass suffered against the Wolverines last season. “I thought our guys gave tremendous effort today.

“We’ll come away feeling a little bit unfortunate but believing that we’re becoming a competitive team.”

Bardia Asefnia started in goal for UMass and made four saves but couldn’t make the fifth to extend the game to double overtime. On the game-winning play, Utah Valley (1-0) sophomore Karson Payton threw a shot on net that Asefnia stopped but could not control. Buxton was in position to convert for the Wolverines, who opened their second season in program history with a victory.

“Our keeper made a terrific save,” O’Leary said about Asefnia’s initial stop. “Our guys recovered really well but unfortunately it sometimes happens that it falls to their guy.”

Minutemen senior forward Mark Morris recorded the only shot on goal for UMass in the 18th minute. The Minutemen struggled offensively throughout the game and only attempted eight shots total.

Senior forward Lenoir Sery was given a second yellow card in the 97th minute of the game, resulting in a red card that put the Minutemen at a 10-on-11 disadvantage for the remaining moments of the game.

“(Sery) competed honestly for the ball, but the other lad came first,” O’Leary said. “Sometimes… it looks a little worse than it is. He was, I think, a tad unfortunate to be given a second yellow.”

UMass returns to action Monday, August 31 with a road matchup against Saint Peter’s in Jersey City, New Jersey. It’s the first of a four-game road trip for the Minutemen, who don’t return to Amherst until September 13, when they’ll face Boston University.

Monday’s kickoff is set for 4 p.m.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @RossGien.