UMass remains a top 30 public university in U.S. News and World Report’s latest ranking

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

A U.S. News and World Report ranking released today put the University of Massachusetts among the top 30 public universities in the country, making it the second year in a row the flagship campus has received such a rating.

UMass moved up from 30 to 29 for national public universities in the U.S. News and World Report’s 2016 Best Colleges guide. The University also advanced one spot to 75 in the guide’s best national universities category.

According to a UMass news release, the rankings are based on graduation rate performance, undergraduate academic reputation, faculty resources, graduation and retention rate, alumni giving, financial resources, student selectivity and high school counselor ratings.

“This year’s U.S. News ranking is a recognition of our campus’s outstanding undergraduate programs and the commitment of our students, faculty, staff and alumni to achieve excellence,” Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy said in a statement. “Our continued rise in the rankings demonstrates that investing in UMass yields impressive results, and we look forward to a continuing partnership with the governor and Legislature to create a vibrant future for our students and the Commonwealth.”

Last year, UMass made headlines when it jumped 10 spots in the public universities category and 15 in the best universities category. Although the change in this year’s rankings weren’t as drastic, UMass spokesperson Edward Blaguszewski said they are reflective of the University’s long-term vision and commitment to excellence.

“It indicates that UMass is a place on the move,” he said.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.