Surviving the change from summer to fall fashion, affordably and sanely

By Lauren Crociati

(Collegian File Photo)

Living in New England during the changing of seasons can be tough. While walking around campus during September and October, there is a wide range of outfit choices and temperatures. In 70-degree weather, scarfs are already hanging off of necks. Students walk to class dressed in sweaters and boots juxtaposed with tank tops and flip-flops when the temperature drops to 50 degrees. It seems as though the weather and student closets are in a state of mass confusion.

At one moment, the brisk air causes a retreat back inside for an extra layer, and a few hours later that layer will make you break a sweat. It seems almost impossible to find the perfect balance of clothing to adapt to the rapid transitional weather. This just adds even more stress to the conventional difficulties of college.

Although it seems like an enormous challenge to be comfortable throughout the day, it doesn’t take a large bank account or require students to force themselves to deal with stringent outfits for hours on end.

The perfect solution? Layering.

“In the morning I always feel like I have to dress for 20-degree weather with heavy coats and a lot of layers, and as the day goes on I take off a few layers depending on how warm it gets,” freshman Kelcey Hardy said.

Marissa Pati, another freshman settling into college, has already mastered the summer to fall transition.

“I love wearing scarves, vests and hats in the beginning of the day so that during my warmer walks to afternoon classes I can easily take them off and still look fashionable. It’s been an easy way for me to adjust to the long walks around UMass,” she said.

As college students on tight budgets, it is essential to find these layering options at a low price while still maintaining style. Forever 21 is a perfect example of affordable fashion. There are several options for both light and heavy jackets and vests at the reasonable price of $25 to $50.

The online store Red Dress Boutique has adorable sweaters for just $30, and scarves for $15 to $20. The clearance section of this website even has numerous options that are perfect for layering for just $5 or $10.

Jeans are perhaps the perfect method for staying cute and cool during the fall, and Charlotte Russe has them for just $25 and under. Despite the ridiculous argument that leggings are not pants, they pair perfectly with boots and can be found at Old Navy starting at $10. Their leggings have been known to provide many with years of use due to their high quality.

When the temperature is warm and feels as though it is the last remaining heat from summer, take off the cardigan, jacket, scarf and hat. You’ll be relieved that you didn’t choose the fluffy sweater that could only be taken off in the privacy of your own room and switched out for a short sleeve shirt.

Lauren Crociati can be reached at [email protected]

Lauren Crociati, Arts Editor and Social Media Assistant

Lauren is a senior journalism major working towards a minor in political science. She has written for the Collegian since her freshman year and is excited...