UMass announces three finalists in police chief search, campus forums to be held for candidates

By Stuart Foster

Stephen Treat/Collegian File Photo

Stephen Treat/Collegian File Photo

The University of Massachusetts has announced the three finalists for the position of police chief and assistant vice chancellor for the University Police Department.

The three finalists are Joseph R. Riley, deputy chief of the New York City Police Department, Tyrone A. Parham, chief of police and public safety at Pennsylvania State University, and Thomas Y. Trawick, Jr., the chief of police and director of emergency management at Clark Atlanta University.

The three finalists will hold public forums over the next two weeks curing visits campus.

Riley, who has been in the NYPD since 1980 and a deputy chief since 2010, will have his forum on Oct. 27 at 1:45 p.m. in room 160 East of the Commonwealth Honors College Events Hall.

Parham, who has been a police officer since 1993 and the chief of police and public safety at Penn State since 2011, will hold his forum on Nov. 3 at 1:45 p.m.in room 174-175 of the Campus Center.

Trawick, who has been a police officer since 1990 and the chief of police at Clark Atlanta since 2010, will hold his forum on Nov. 5 at 1:45 p.m. in room 160 East of the Commonwealth Honors College Events Hall.

UMass began reviewing applicants for the new chief of police on Sept. 2 and said the search could last into the spring semester of 2016.

The search for a new police chief began after former UMPD police chief John Horvath retired in May to take a job as the head of the Rockport Police Department. Since then, Patrick Archbald has served as the interim chief of police.

Feedback on the finalists can be provided through Student Life’s website.

Stuart Foster can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Stuart_C_Foster