Please hold your snaps

By Rachel Walman

(Jessica Picard/ Daily Collegian)

(Jessica Picard/ Daily Collegian)

What began as audience encouragement at poetry slams and improvisational comedy performances has become widespread in college – and even high school – classroom discussions and academic-based debates. To show personal approval and agreement with the idea or opinion of another classmate, it is now very common to snap one’s fingers during or after the aforementioned statement.

This type of snapping first became prevalent during the pinnacle years of the rebellious and politically-themed beatnik poets in nightclubs, jazz houses and cafes. Snapping was the quieter, less disturbing substitute for clapping. But nowadays, snapping is used not as a substitute for applause, but rather as a public way to show that you stand with the speaker.

Why do we do it? The same way you can “retweet” on Twitter and “like” on Facebook and Instagram, snapping has become the automatic response that is given to a verbal tweet or status update.

Our generation has become used to giving our instant feedback at all times. We don’t even need to hear the end of a statement to let everyone around us, including the speaker, know that we approve.

It has become so ingrained into the non-verbal lexicon across college campuses to the point that I do not believe it will simply fizzle out. I see it in clubs and during activities meetings, and have experienced it during classroom discourse. I have had people snap at the things I have said. And I don’t like it.

Snappers may argue that what they are doing is a respectful, reassuring gesture that emboldens students to speak about their ideas with more confidence. Unfortunately, however, it also does the exact opposite. When someone speaks their opinion only to be met with no snaps, they may feel an inevitable lowering of confidence. It is ultimately more difficult to give a counter-argument to an idea that has already been met with a multitude of snaps.

While it is true that I have heard great ideas or opinions that I too share, that have been met with snapping, I find it almost rude that snappers feel as though they have a place publically calling attention to themselves. A snap is essentially saying, “Attention, everyone, guess what? I really like what this person is saying and you all should know that I agree with them.”

Snapping takes the focus away from where it should be: on the speaker. With snapping, we are made to pay attention to the audience rather than the words being spoken. Discussions are places for using words, not gestures. Instead of taking the time to come up with our own statements for input, we fall into an instantaneous-gratification type of behavior.

I know that the people of our generation – including myself – take pride in being liberal, open-minded and focused on the acceptance of all creeds, peoples and opinions. Why then do we lend ourselves to such a practice that inevitably stops different ideas from being shared? Shatter the atmosphere of conformity: stop classroom snapping.

Rachel Walman is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at [email protected]

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Please hold your snaps”

1. Stefan on March 2nd, 2016 1:21 pm

Agreed- snapping is some of the most passive-aggressive behavior I’ve ever seen.

2. Kyle P on March 2nd, 2016 4:37 pm

Literally no one has ever done this in any class I’ve been in during the four years at the school. Not a single class. None.

What are you even talking about?

3. R on March 2nd, 2016 11:46 pm

That was the most passive aggressive comment I’ve ever read Stefan. *snaps*

4. Dana on March 3rd, 2016 1:19 am

While we’re at it let’s ban any form of supporting one idea over another because it’s unfair. Snaps are one way of communicating support, and I believe you’d find it ridiculous to ban showing support, although your argument is constructed exactly that way. We should learn how and when to show support in critical and nurturing ways, be confident in our ideas if we believe in them when others don’t, to challenge ourselves to rethink if we don’t receive support, without banning ways we show support that the author personally finds annoying

5. DFZ on March 3rd, 2016 12:05 pm

I’ve never witnessed this behavior in my life. I think the author is just making things up because the paper needed to fill space

6. Anon on March 3rd, 2016 6:45 pm

DFZ, the author isn’t making stuff up. It happens. Good article.

7. Mauer on March 4th, 2016 8:55 pm

No anon, DFZ is right. This doesn’t actually happen

• Please hold your snaps

Protest held in Amherst against forced resignation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions

• Please hold your snaps

UMass women’s basketball suffers first loss of season to Towson, 78-53

• Please hold your snaps

No. 9 UMass defeats No. 4 Providence, 3-2, in pivotal Hockey East sweep

• Please hold your snaps

Anthony Del Gaizo’s game-winner Saturday the product of hard work

• Please hold your snaps

Weiße Nationalist Flugblätter am Campus entdeckten

• Please hold your snaps

Poor third quarter hinders UMass football in loss to BYU

• Please hold your snaps

UMass dominant in blowout win over New Hampshire

• Please hold your snaps

Tre Wood shines in second career game for UMass

• Please hold your snaps

Panfletos nacionalistas blancos descubiertos en el campus

• Please hold your snaps

Third racist incident targeting Melville Hall this semester sparks discussion forum