What people’s email signoffs say about them

(Toshiyuki IMAI/ Flickr)
(Toshiyuki IMAI/ Flickr)

Ever think about what your email signoff says about you? Listed below are my interpretations of the often overlooked personality indicator:

‘Best’

These types of people are polite and honest while not being overly apologetic for the email requests or responses they’re sending into cyber space. They’ve moved past the simple ‘thank you’ in the direction of something more sophisticated.

‘Best’ people are the type who romanticize the idea of actually making someone’s day better with an email signoff. (I sign my emails off this way.)

‘Thank you’

These types of people are plain-Janes. They’re afraid to deviate from the cookie cutter, often implied, lack luster email signoff that really just screams “I’m not the type of person to make waves.” Before we completely write off this type of person, let’s take a moment to appreciate their appeal both for consistency (we were all taught this simple sign-off in middle school) and clear message. They most certainly aren’t fooling around. They’re not about fancy frills and ambiguous meanings. No sir, ‘thank you’ people are self-assured.

‘Sent from my iPhone’

This technically isn’t an actual signoff, but I felt it was important that I comment on it.  The types of people who send emails from their phones and forget to delete the famous “Sent from my iPhone” mark at the bottom are the worst.

Nothing makes you feel less important in terms of cyber conversation then when someone forgets to delete the tell-tale sign that they probably barely read your email. Okay, sure they’re limited to a tiny handheld screen that makes everything over three sentences look like a Harry Potter novel but still, it’s the laziness I don’t like. They almost certainly didn’t go out of their way to appreciate you’re pleasant greeting, organized thoughts and undoubtedly riveting content. How disappointing.

‘Best wishes’

Something about this signoff feels a little ominous. Like there’s something coming my way that I need to prepare for. It feels pretty strange in most contexts but I guess it would be appropriate in a conversation with someone who’s buying a house or having a baby or accomplishing some other milestone.

‘Talk soon’

No, we probably actually won’t after that signoff. I automatically read this signoff as if a middle-aged father was sending it in a texting conversation with his daughters. Like if there are real intentions of actually ‘talking soon,’ then need must it be said? Like I said, I think it feels a little bit too much like an overbearing dad.

‘XX’

This is reserved for people you actually want to hug. Don’t send hugs if you wouldn’t actually enjoy hugging this person/know them well enough to initiate a hug. This signoff should be reserved for messages or letters to your grandma.

‘Cheers’

This one makes me laugh. It somehow feels synonymous with “it’s happy hour somewhere.” The type of person who uses ‘cheers’ as their signoff is almost always the glass half-full type of person. They’re probably even smiling when they email you because they’re that great.  I’ve decided that ‘cheers’ people are innately kind.

‘First initial’

Personally I like this one, but I realize its weaknesses in only being appropriate for casual conversations and people you had a preexisting dialogue with. It feels very mysterious and double agent like to be so busy and important that you only need or have time to signoff with your first initial.

‘Yours’

I don’t have any immediately strong feelings about this one, but on further inspection it feels a little forced. Whoever is writing the email wants to sound easier going than they feel comfortable with and the end result is just something that feels unwanted. ‘Yours’ should be reserved for long-hand love letters and nothing else.

‘Respectfully’

If your email sign off is ‘respectfully,’ I almost automatically assume you’re a cyborg or an automated response. This is so painfully boring even past the point of ‘thank you’ that you’ve landed yourself right next to watching paint dry. If we are exchanging emails, I’d like to assume there would be an element of respect there, but what about some decent conversation?

‘VB’ (very best)

I’m almost positive that I’ve never gotten an email with this signoff, and I’m nearly just as positive that if I did I would think ‘VB’ signified your very important position at some very important job. Never would I ever assume this meant very best, so I think for that reason this signoff is more ambiguous than it is effective.

Gina Lopez can be reached at [email protected].