Hockey East Notebook: Merrimack comes back against New Hampshire

Game-tying goal scored with one second left in first period
(Collegian file photo)

Last place Merrimack came back from an early deficit to beat another struggling team in New Hampshire, 3-2, at home Friday night.

Warriors goaltender Craig Pantano led the way for MC with 18 saves, including 14 in the first period, in the win.

UNH, which has just one win in its last 17 games, got out to an early lead with two quick goals early in the first.

Wildcats senior Shane Eiserman scored 2:26 into the first with the assist from sophomore Liam Blackburn. Blackburn then scored on the power play at 9:22 in the first to give UNH a 2-0 lead, but it wouldn’t last.

Merrimack’s Jonathan Kovacevic scored at 17:31 in the first, followed by the game-tying goal with just one second left in the period from sophomore defenseman Ryan Cook on a shot from the point.

Sophomore forward Cole McBride netted the game winner for the Warriors 7:27 into the second period on the power play.

The win gave Merrimack just it’s sixth Hockey East win of the season, but it was a huge win as it chases UNH for 10th in the conference as playoffs approach.

The Warriors take on UMass Lowell at home on Friday with just two games remaining, heading into the playoffs.

UConn squeaks by BU in OT comeback win

Connecticut came from behind  to beat Boston University, 5-4, at home on Friday in a high-scoring affair.

UConn junior Maxim Letunov lead the way for the Huskies with the game-winning goal in overtime, as well as two assists on the evening.

BU scored the only goal in the first period, as sophomore defenseman Chad Krys found the back of the net on a long wrist shot while on the power play at 14:01.

The game remained 1-0 until Huskies senior Spencer Naas scored his first of two goals on the night 4:12 into the second period on a one timer from the slot. BU responded just one minute later with a goal from Bobo Carpenter and took a 3-1 lead shortly after that with a goal from Brien Diffley at 7:27 of the second period.

UConn’s Naas scored again 5:43 into the third period on the power play to bring the Huskies within one, but just 17 seconds later Ty Amonte scored to put BU up 4-2.

About halfway through the third UConn’s Kasperi Ojantakanen gave the Huskies hope with a tip in goal. With 5:37 remaining in regulation, sophomore Alexander Payusov tied the game for the Huskies on the power play with a beautiful shot from the high slot.

The game stayed tied at 4-4 until overtime, until Letunov deked past the BU defense and went top shelf on a backhand shot to seal the game.

UConn looks to finish the season on a high note against UMass on Thursday at home.

Seamus Kelley can be reached at [email protected].