UMass tennis dominates Fordham 6-1 on Sunday

Minutewomen win 5-6 singles matches

The Massachusetts tennis team was playing at the top of its game on Sunday afternoon, dominating Fordham 6-1.

The game came on the heels of UMass’ first win over an Ivy League opponent. It also marked the Minutewomen’s first conference action and beginning it with a win is the start they wanted. UMass was able to dominate in conference play a year ago, winning all three matches.

The Minutewomen have gotten the best of the Rams in recent history, winning their regular season game last season and also defeating them in the conference semifinals.

UMass (9-5, 2-1 Atlantic 10) came away with the doubles point thanks to two big victories. Ruth Crawford and Ashley Avery picked up a 6-3 doubles win over Estelle Wong and Whitney Weisenberg in the No. 1 spot, while Janja Kovacenic and Martina Bocchi also picked up a 6-3 doubles win over Maia Balce and Gianna Insogna.

The final doubles match with Ana Yrazusta and Anna Napadiy was ruled a draw and finished 5-5.

The Minutewomen also dominated in the singles matches, picking up a victory in five of the six matches.

UMass received a top-notch performance from freshman Napadiy, who rolled over her opponent with a singles victory of 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot. Yrazusta also performed well with a 6-0, 6-4 victory in the No. 2 spot. Yrazusta has shined for the Minutewomen this season, as she has earned a pair of A-10 Player of the Week honors.

The other singles wins came from Crawford in the No. 1 spot, Kovacenic on the No. 3 court and Bocchi in No. 6. Crawford has primarily been in the No. 1 spot for the Minutewomen, where she went 8-5 in the fall season.

The only loss of the day came from Jovana Bogicevic, who was unable to outmatch her opponent, falling 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 in three sets.

The next matchup for UMass will be Saturday morning in Virginia as it faces Richmond. It will look to keep up this level play as it nears the A-10 Conference Championships, which begin in the final week of April.

Timothy Flaherty can be reached at [email protected].