Man allegedly falls to death from Lederle Graduate Research Center

Individual was former UMass student
(Collegian file photo)

A 25-year-old man from Hampton, New Hampshire died after falling from the Lederle Graduate Research Center at the University of Massachusetts on Tuesday evening.

At approximately 5:25 p.m. on Tuesday, the UMass police department along with the Massachusetts State Police responded to reports of a man who had fallen from the building, according to Northwestern District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Mary Carey in an email.

Upon arrival, police discovered the deceased body of the man who had apparently fallen from the 16th floor of the building.

The individual’s name has not been disclosed by officials. The district attorney’s office said in a statement the man was a former student at UMass, but was not enrolled at the time of his death.

Ed Blaguszewski, executive director of strategic communications for the UMass Office of News and Media Relations did not comment and guided all further questions to the district attorney’s office.

The death is considered non-criminal in nature and no foul play is suspected, the district attorney’s office said.

The incident remains under investigation by the UMPD, Massachusetts State Police detectives unit attached with the district attorney’s office and the office of the chief medical examiner.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected].