UMass women’s soccer looks to extend its three-game winning streak, taking on Eastern Michigan

The Minutewomen haven’t allowed a goal during win streak

%28Judith+Gibson-Okunieff%29
(Judith Gibson-Okunieff)

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff)

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff)

By Ethan Nash, Contributing Writer

The University of Massachusetts women’s soccer team is on a roll.

Three straight shutouts against New Hampshire (4-0), Delaware (3-0) and most recently Chicago State (8-0) have the Minutewomen (4-2) in line for their fourth straight win against Eastern Michigan on Sunday.

Senior goalkeeper Peyton Ryan, who has played a key role in these victories, not allowing more than two goals in a game all season, credits her success to the team.

“We’re playing as a team where we all move together and the defense stays really compact,” Ryan said. “I can save shots, but the defense allows the shots and I haven’t faced that many shots on goal, so it’s a team effort.”

UMass hopes to continue the recent trend of putting shots on goal and getting on the board often after its most recent victory over Chicago State, where the Minutewomen fired an astounding 40 shots, 20 on goal. Junior forward Rebeca Frisk played a big role in that aspect of the game by tallying a hat trick and an assist.

Frisk feels they will need to keep that same attacking mentality heading into Sunday’s contest.

“Nothing’s going to change and we’re going to go into this game like it’s any other game,” Frisk said. “It’s just about who wants it more. Our effort is just getting better and how hard we work every day in practice and in the weight room. It’s just about going up from here.”

First-year coach Jason Dowiak is excited about the team’s recent performance as well.

“It’s been awesome,” he said. “The girls are starting to really pick up on the concepts that we’re talking about in training and the mentality that we’re going to work together to create our chances and defend together. It’s been an awesome transformation into a team mentality for these wins.”

Looking forward to a strong test against the Eagles, senior midfielder Paige Kozlowski says things must start at the top for the Minutewomen if they want to continue their recent success.

“Our forwards and everyone all have a really great press which we all do together,” she said. “We make it easier on our defenders and force the other team to play long balls that we can easily pick off, so really it’s just a team effort.”

The Minutewomen will be vying for their third home win of the season and their fifth win overall at Rudd Field on Sunday afternoon. The contest will mark the last non-conference game for UMass before it takes on Atlantic 10 opponents. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. this Sunday.

Ethan Nash can be reached at [email protected].