Letter: Vote for Mindy Domb, a progressive Western Mass. advocate

Vote Domb for State Representative this Tuesday
(Will Katcher/Daily Collegian)

When finishing up my junior year at the University of Massachusetts and considering ways I could pursue politics, I was drawn to Mindy Domb’s campaign announcement to the UMass Democrats. I found her speech compelling and noticed many traits of hers that differed from other politicians. She was able to gather and direct the attention of the room, but was also humble and, most importantly, authentic. I recall UDems Vice President Jack Eccles noting that if Domb doesn’t know the answer to something, she doesn’t make up an answer like many politicians do. She simply says she that doesn’t know the answer and that she will find out and get back to you.

While working on Domb’s campaign, I found out that this statement was true.

Domb will be a great state representative for Amherst due to her excellent communication skills and connection to the Amherst community. Her passion for working with others to solve issues is apparent through her work as executive director of the Amherst Survival Center. Her tireless dedication on the campaign will be matched by her strong performance as our state representative. Among other canvassing efforts, she hosted public coffee chats three times a week at various cafés all summer leading up to the primary to allow for anyone in the community to approach her and voice their opinions or ask questions face-to-face.

During the campaign, one of Domb’s volunteers met a woman in Pelham who spoke at length about her frustration with local government. She felt that the current representatives are not doing enough to help elderly people and those with disabilities. The volunteer reported this conversation to Domb, who drove to the woman’s house that day to talk personally. Domb wanted to tell the woman how she will advocate for her at the state level. This personal contact is critical for a state representative and reflective of Domb’s most admirable qualities.

On a policy level, Domb shares the progressive policies of most Massachusetts Democrats: provide Medicare for all, expand funding for education and give equal rights to all populations, including LGBTQIA+ people and other marginalized groups. But what sets her apart is her authenticity and determination to unite people of all diverse groups in the 3rd Hampshire District, including the large UMass population.

Please join me in voting for Mindy Domb on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Kate McMurray