Stellar guard play carries UMass to win over Sacred Heart

Bre Hampton-Bey paces Minutewomen
Jon+Asgeirsson%2FCollegian
Jon Asgeirsson/Collegian

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team’s two point guards, Bre Hampton-Bey and Destiney Philoxy, led the way in its 78-61 win over Sacred Heart.

The pair combined for 35 points, leading the Minutewomen (1-0) to their season-opening win over the Pioneers (0-1) at the Mullins Center on Tuesday.

“They’re both dynamic, they’re both ultra-athletic,” coach Tony Verdi said of his point guards.

Hampton-Bey picked up right where she left off last season, tallying 19 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Her 19 points, off 9-of-16 shooting led UMass.

“I felt like I pushed the ball in transition, just driving and attacking the basket,” Hampton-Bey said.

Philoxy, playing in her first collegiate game, had 16 points as well as four assists off the bench to spark the Minutewomen’s offense.

None of UMass’ 78 points on the night were as easy on the eye as the two Philoxy scored midway through the third quarter.

Philoxy pushed the ball up the floor, with a swarm of Pioneers around her. As one came from behind to poke the ball lose, Philoxy planted her foot and spun toward the basket, getting a finger roll to drop while falling.

“It’s a panicking thing,” Philoxy said of the play. “When I panic, I spin. It’s a habit, so when I heard somebody behind me, I just spun.”

While the play was eye-catching, Philoxy’s teammates were not as impressed, because they expect her to make those kinds of plays.

“I mean, its impressive,” Hailey Leidel said, “but that’s her. I’ve been watching her do that for the last couple months, so I’m not surprised.”

On top of the highlight reel layup, Philoxy also buried a contested three in the corner, getting knocked to the ground on the play.

“You saw Destiney Philoxy do somethings that you just can’t coach,” Verdi said. “You can draw up plays, but at some point, players make plays and she did a lot of that here tonight.”

The two point guards pushed the pace for UMass, leading to 22 points off turnovers as a team.

Hampton-Bey’s presence was felt early on, scoring seven of the Minutewomen’s first 11 points. The early boost vaulted UMass to a 21-15 lead after the first quarter.

Hampton-Bey’s early scoring efforts helped alleviate a slow start from Leidel, who only scored six first-half points. Leidel, a preseason All-Atlantic 10 selection eventually found her footing, scoring six in the third quarter to finish with 13 points on the night.

“We can’t only have one or two people scoring,” Leidel said. “If I get off to a slow start, knowing someone has my back just means everything.”

In the second quarter, Hampton-Bey matched Sacred Heart’s entire offensive output, equaling its eight points in the frame.

Both Hampton-Bey and Philoxy enjoyed efficient shooting nights, combining to shoot 16 of 26 from the field and 2-for-3 from beyond the three-point line.

On top of their scoring and playmaking, Hampton-Bey and Philoxy contributed on the boards. With center Anil Soysal getting herself into foul trouble, the Minutewomen were forced to rebound by committee.

It worked, with UMass outrebounding the Pioneers, 40-27 on the night. Ten of the 40 Minutewomen rebounds came from their two point guards.

“Both of [Hampton-Bey and Philoxy] are our catalysts,” Verdi said. “They make us go, and we realized that here this afternoon.”

Noah Bortle can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @noah_bortle.