Police Logs: Friday, Feb. 22 — Sunday, Feb. 24

Three arrests happened over the weekend
(Maxwell Zaleski/Daily Collegian)

The following police logs are from the Amherst Police Department from Friday, Feb. 22, 2019 to Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019.

Friday, Feb. 22, 2019

Motor Vehicle Crash

8:39 a.m.: Two vehicles were reported by the Amherst Fire Department as they passed by to be involved in a crash near 275 E. Pleasant St. Neither operator called to report the crash. Both vehicles were gone on arrival.

9:02 a.m.: A reporting party called on behalf of her 18-year-old daughter, stating that her car was struck while parked at the Dunkin Donuts located at 312 College St. The vehicle was found on scene, and it appeared to have been sideswiped by another vehicle while backing out of a parking spot. The vehicle at the scene had no damage. The operator of the vehicle on scene said that the offending vehicle had bumper damage but drove away.

2:23 p.m.: A gray 2003 Ford Explorer was involved in a crash with a deer at 206 West St.

4:58 p.m.: A gray 2009 Ford Focus and a gray 2006 Honda Accord were involved in a motor vehicle crash at 120 Belchertown Road. No injuries were reported.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

1:24 p.m.: A disabled 12,000 pound box truck died at the intersection at 100 S. East St. An officer assisted in moving the vehicle from to the parking lot of the nearby Cumberland Farms while Harold’s Towing came and picked the car up.

Assist Citizen

1:41 p.m.: A reporting party called to report her mother, who lives in El Paso, Texas, as missing. She said her mother had not been heard from since the beginning of January. The reporting party advised police that El Paso told her she could not file a missing person report since she does not live in Texas. An officer made contact with the El Paso Police Department and requested that they attempt to locate the mother at her last known address. The reporting party called back advising that her uncle had made contact with her mother and that she was okay.

Fight

5:46 p.m.: A reporting party stated that she was driving by Antonio’s Pizza at 31 N. Pleasant St. when she observed a male hitting and pushing another male. When officers arrived, nothing was found to be active.

Disturbance

6:11 p.m.: A reporting party stated that a person had come back to the front of Antonio’s Pizza at 31 N. Pleasant St. after being dispersed by police at 5:46 p.m. earlier in the day. The reporting party stated that the involved party had spit in his face and walked toward Starbucks. As officers approached the man at the bus stop, the man called police a “motherf*****” several times and was placed under arrest. The person, a 54-year-old homeless Northampton man, was charged with disorderly conduct.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

7:34 p.m.: A reporting party stated that there was a black truck taking up two parking spots near 81 Belchertown Road and that she was worried that it looked suspicious. Officers found nothing suspicious other than it was taking up two spaces.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

8:05 p.m.: A reporting party stated that a green Toyota Tacoma was driving erratically near 1040 N. Pleasant St. toward Puffton Apartments. The car was gone on arrival.

Disturbance

11:32 p.m.: A reporting party stated that an unknown male was attempting to gain entry to their home at 261 Belchertown Road. The person was observed trying to gain entry into the apartment, and when speaking to the person they assaulted an officer, punching one in the chest while resisting arrest. The back door screen on the apartment was destroyed and the door was damaged. The person, a 19-year-old from Wrentham, was placed under arrest for disturbing the peace, resisting arrest, assault and battery on a police officer and destruction of property valued at approximately $1,200.

Larceny

11:37 p.m.: An employee at High Horse at 24 N. Pleasant St. said that a Hispanic male had taken her phone off the bar and that he threatened to pull a knife on her, though she did not witness the knife itself. “Find My iPhone” was utilized but the phone could not be found. An incident report was filed.

Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019

Disabled Motor Vehicle

6:43 a.m.: An officer was almost struck by another vehicle while heading southbound on Montague Road through an intersection. This was because there was a gray 2004 Honda Civic that ran out of gas in the middle of the street just after the stop sign on Sunderland Road. Ernie’s Towing was contacted to tow the vehicle to a gas station.

Traffic

10:22 a.m.: A reporting party came into the Amherst Police station advising that two vehicles parked on by 35 Taylor St. were facing the wrong way and were partially blocking a driveway. Two parking tickets were issued.

11:25 a.m.: A reporting party advised of a gray 2018 Honda CRV parked and blocking his neighbor’s driveway at 35 McClellan St. The driveway was not shoveled or clearly marked, and no one’s travel was being impeded. An officer spoke to the reporting party about why they would not be issuing a parking ticket to the vehicle’s operator.

Assist Amherst Fire Department

10:50 a.m.: Police assisted the Amherst Fire Department with smoke in the hallway of Apt. 5 at Rolling Green, 422 Belchertown Road. A reporting party believed smoke was coming from Apt. 5 and the resident knocked on the door, but no one answered. There was a small cooking fire in the apartment. AFD was able to clear the smoke from the apartment and the neighboring units.

11:27 p.m.: AFD was en route to Apt. 8G at 16 Brandywine Dr. for water pouring into a caller’s apartment from an upstairs unit. The caller was not able to make contact with anyone involved. Police attempted to make contact with maintenance, and an electrical inspector was en route with a 30-minute estimated arrival time. The water leak came from an unknown source in a third-floor apartment and maintenance was on scene to assist.

Animal Complaint

11:08 a.m.: A reporting party advised that the neighbor on the corner of Carriage and Surrey Lanes has a small mixed-breed dog that is constantly wandering around in his yard without a leash. In the past, he has simply yelled at the dog to go home and it has left, but on Saturday the owner of the dog started yelling at the reporting party not to yell at their dog. The reporting party did not want the police to speak to the dog owner; they just wanted this documented for future issues. He was advised to stop yelling at the dog and to contact the police if the dog is running off leash in his yard again.

5:08 p.m.: A reporting party called about a dog in a white Saturn SUV with all the windows open in the vicinity of The Pub, 15 E. Pleasant St. He was concerned that it was too cold, and also stated that the dog would not stop barking.

Motor Vehicle Stop

1:47 p.m.: An officer pulled over a black 2013 GMC Yukon by 111 Chestnut St. A query of the license plate showed the registered operator’s license had been cancelled, but that person was not operating the vehicle. The operator of the car advised that the registered operator was deceased and she was in the process of changing the car’s registered operator with the RMV.

6:07 p.m.: The operator of a black 2000 Acura SE was pulled over in the vicinity of 17 Kellogg Ave. for failing to inspect the motor vehicle. A verbal warning was given.

Noise Complaint

4:17 p.m.: A reporting party called in loud music coming from a home near 289 Pelham Rd.

Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:43 a.m.: A black 2012 Hyundai Elantra was located travelling on S. East Street. The vehicle merged onto Middle Street, where the operator failed to stop for a stop sign and once an officer’s blue lights were operated, the person also failed to stop and pull over for approximately one mile. When the operator of the Hyundai pulled over, field sobriety tests were performed. The operator, a 23-year-old male from Southampton, Mass., was arrested for OUI liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, a marked lanes violation, failing to stop for police and failing to stop/yield.

1:34 a.m.: The operator of a red 1983 Porsche was pulled over at 277 Riverglade Dr. for operating with a broken passenger side tail light.

Assist Citizen

12:45 a.m.: An officer was flagged down by a male who advised that he was kicked out of the Monkey Bar, 63 N. Pleasant St. After speaking with management, the officer discovered the male was allegedly pushing through crowds and did not heed warnings to stop. The male was advised of the officer’s findings.

1:17 a.m.: Police assisted a highly-intoxicated involved party at 205 Middle St. who was looking for help getting home. The person stumbled into the officer’s motor vehicle looking to get back to Sunset Avenue. He was lost and had lost all of his belongings so he couldn’t call for a ride. He was then provided a ride back to his roommates at 156 Sunset Ave.

2:40 a.m.: A reporting party stated he was locked out of his house, 1177 N. Pleasant St., Apt. 1, and that his keys were inside. Police were unable to gain entry into the location. The reporting party contacted a friend to pick him up until he could get in contact with his landlord.

9:54 a.m.: A man came into the APD station for advice dealing with his adult son. He came in and discussed options available to him under abuse prevention laws, trespass and family issues.

Disturbance

12:52 a.m.: The owner of The Harp, 163 Sunderland Rd., said there were four underage males trying to get into the bar. One suspect is a white male wearing an Adidas jumpsuit and another one is tall and was wearing a blue shirt. An officer found the involved parties walking away from the bar and advised them not to return to the establishment.

12:53 a.m.: Two male parties were kicked out of the Monkey Bar by staff. The patrons refused to leave and got into a minor scuffle with employees. All parties were cooperative with police officers, and the staff was not interested in pursuing trespass. The parties were warned about their actions and sent on their way.

1:02 a.m.: One individual was reported getting into an altercation, possible assault, with a bouncer at The Spoke, 35 E. Pleasant St. Police located the involved party fighting with bouncers outside the bar. He was observed thrashing around on the ground and screaming, drawing a small crowd of onlookers. The involved party used his fingers to poke and pry at one of the bouncer’s eyes, causing visible injury. The 22-year-old male from Quincy, Mass. was arrested for disorderly conduct and assault and battery.

6:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated a male and female were arguing inside a gray 2007 Ford Expedition at Minuteman Cleaners, 5 Pray St. The female could be heard shouting “don’t touch me, don’t grab me like that.” The motor vehicle was gone upon police arrival, and a “be on the lookout” was issued to South Hadley and Granby to stop and check the wellbeing of the female involved party. Police made contact by phone with an involved party who advised he was giving a friend a ride to Springfield. While speaking with the involved party, police could not hear problems from inside the vehicle. Police spoke with the reporting party who was a patron inside The Pub. He saw the involved party come into the bar looking for the female. He walked into the restroom where she was and helped her out of the establishment. The involved party was yelling while being assisted outside, however nothing abusive was observed. They both left the area toward Triangle Street. Police checked an apartment and a person advised he had not seen the involved party, but he would call APD if she showed up to his apartment. They checked the boyfriend’s address, 31 Greenwich Road, but no one was home.

Noise Complaint

1:44 a.m.: Loud banging and music was reported at 68 Cowls Rd., Apt. 302. While officers were waiting to gain entry into the building, dispatch spoke with the reporting party, who stated they no longer heard noise and no longer wanted police assistance.

2:01 a.m.: A reporting party called about loud music coming from Apt. 322 at 1 E. Pleasant St. The area was quiet upon police arrival.

5:24 p.m.: A reporting party stated a tan sedan with a car alarm sounding for over an hour was in the vicinity of 497 E. Pleasant St., Apt. 42. The area was quiet upon police arrival.

Suspicious

1:44 a.m.: A shirtless male was observed attempting to start a fight with another group in the vicinity of 68 N. Pleasant St. Once the person saw the police officers he put his shirt on and left the area.

Traffic

1:45 a.m.: Concerns of excessive foot traffic were reported by 16 Meadow St. No pedestrians were in the area upon police arrival.

8:33 p.m.: A reporting party reported nearly striking a male party walking a bicycle up the hill in the travel lane by 193 Northampton Rd. due to low visibility. The male party was gone upon police arrival.

911 Hang Up

3:16 a.m.: 911 hang up. Upon several calls back from the police, several individuals continued to answer and then would hang up. The involved parties were very uncooperative and were giving the wrong location. An officer identified an involved party who stated her friend accidentally dialed the number and then kept hanging up because he didn’t believe it was really the police. No issues.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

9:48 p.m.: A reporting party stated two motor vehicles were pulled off to the side of the road at 1521 S. East St. with flat tires from a large pothole on S. East Street. One vehicle had a flat tire. Cones were placed at the two bad potholes.

Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @mikepconnors. Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.