Two arrests made during ‘Blarney’ weekend

Saturday marked another quiet ‘Blarney Blowout’
(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/ Daily Collegian)

As the first weekend in March comes to an end, the annual “Blarney Blowout” celebration in Amherst was overall quiet and contained.

As of Saturday at 5 p.m., two arrests were made, one for disorderly conduct and the other for a liquor violation on Sunset Avenue, according to Deputy Director of News and Media Relations at the University of Massachusetts Mary Dettloff.

“Town of Amherst and University of Massachusetts officials said a successful combination of extensive planning, coordinated public safety efforts and cooperative students helped ensure a safe and peaceful day in the town and on campus,” Dettloff said.

The Amherst Police Department also responded to three disturbances and two large gatherings. Meanwhile the Amherst Fire Department reported six ambulance calls, one on-campus and five off-campus. Cooley Dickinson Hospital attended to four patients for alcohol-related issues.

No fire was detected at the Old Towne Tavern, despite the facility being evacuated after “a malicious false fire alarm was pulled.”

“Yet again, the combined efforts of the town, University and mutual aid partners have ensured the safety of our community. The careful planning has deterred any significant issues throughout the course of the day,” said Town Manager Paul Bockelman in a press release from News and Media Relations. “We want to thank the university, various agencies and all of our partners from the surrounding communities for their help in making a safe and successful operation possible.”

Around 700 students waited in line for the Mullins Live! concert where doors opened at 10 a.m. The event, featuring popular hip-hop artists Future, Ty Dolla $ign and Gunna, saw 2,404 students attend and ended at 1:45 p.m. The concert had sold 3,300 tickets as of Feb. 25.

Two minor injuries and two alcohol-related issues were responded to at the Mullins Center, none of them requiring ambulance transportation.

“A big part of today’s success is the cooperation of our students at the Mullins Center and off campus,” said Enku Gelaye, vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life. “I want to add my thanks to our Team Positive Presence and Walk This Way volunteers, for helping make this a peaceful and safe event.”

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.