Letter: Will UMass support viewpoint diversity or political propaganda?

Panel about Israel lacks diverse viewpoints

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

By Aviva Slomich Rosenschein, Letter Contributor

On May 4, a panel entitled “Not Backing Down: Israel, Free Speech, and the Battle for Palestinian Human Rights” will be held at the University of Massachusetts. This panel, which was organized by the Media Education Foundation, seems to be designed to influence students into supporting a one-sided message against Israel. The panel lacks a diverse viewpoint, and attendants will only hear arguments against the Israeli government’s policies without any scholar to defend those ideas. It’s propaganda, unworthy of higher education.

Linda Sarsour, the Women’s March leader now known for undermining the movement’s reputation by associating it with anti-Semitism, has somehow been able to find applause in the academic world. Universities, including UMass, are turning a blind eye to Sarsour’s discriminatory and hypocritical behavior throughout her tenure as a leader of the Women’s March. Sarsour purports to be a woman for all peoples, fighting for minorities and the oppressed, yet she singles out Jews, trivializing attacks made against them and demonizing Israel with blood libels. Sarsour acts as an ally to other movements such as Black Lives Matter by drawing purported analogies between the Black and Palestinian communities; but all this is only to advance her narrative of perpetual Palestinian victimhood at the hands of Israel.

Marc Lamont Hill, another pro-Palestinian speaker, was fired from CNN after defending Hamas and calling for the elimination of the State of Israel at the United Nations.

Free speech allows these people to address interested spectators, but free speech does not compel UMass, a state-funded university, to endorse this one-sided event. A University-backed lecture should consist of various viewpoints, providing students with a means to better educate themselves and learn how to dialogue and debate with one another respectfully. This upcoming panel will be doing the exact opposite.

“Not Backing Down” is therefore not worthy of an academic setting. The panelists are anything but honest advocates for liberal principles. They only seek to create an echo chamber on campus for their anti-Israel ideology.

And that’s not all they’re doing. In 1994, notorious Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, whom Sarsour and Lamont Hill have defended, spoke at UMass. Just this past year Farrakhan claimed that “Satanic Jews have infected the whole world with poison and deceit,” and a few months later called Jews “stupid” and compared them to termites. The UMass community didn’t accept Farrakhan’s presence in 1994, after 800 students voiced their disgust and protested his speech. Twenty-five years later, Farrakhan’s defenders are here to spread his ideas under the guise of human rights.

Given the panel’s lack of viewpoint diversity and its embracing of defenders of Farrakhan, one can only wonder: Has UMass since lost its moral compass?

Aviva Slomich Rosenschein

Class of 2008

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Letter: Will UMass support viewpoint diversity or political propaganda?”

1. amy on April 16th, 2019 1:21 am

Umass drank the social justice kool-aid and never looked bad. This is far different college than when you went here..

2. Gennaro Pasquale on April 16th, 2019 12:32 pm

Talk about “without any scholar to defend” readers should consider that the Israeli Lobby and Jewish supporters of Israel are always ready to pounce on any anti-Israel statements by anyone anywhere in the United States and to work behind the scenes to destroy anyone who speaks out against Apartheid Israel. Only in recent years have a few spokespersons like Linda Sarsour had the ability to speak in public about Israel’s never ending occupation of the West Bank and Gaza and its denial to Palestinians of their “unalienable” rights. Israel has no moral compass to lose. It’s Arab citizens are second class and the country does not belong to its citizens It only “belongs” to Jews even though 25% of its citizens Muslim and Christian Arabs. Without the Israel Firsters in America Israel would be condemned by politicians and public figures around the country. Because of the Israel Firsters in America Israel is not denounced as the Apartheid State that it is. Any reasonable person visiting Gaza would agee that it is an open air prison surrounded by Israel whose snipers seem to enjoy shooting Palestinian protesters at the border. interested persons should read “Israel An Apartheid State by Uri Davis an Israeli Jew.

3. Harry on April 16th, 2019 1:29 pm

Gennaro Pasquale, a few questions: Apartheid against whom? And how are Arab Israelis second class citizens? What rights are Palestinians denied, except for the “right” to murder Jews? Why can’t Gazans simply go through Egypt?

4. Mary on April 16th, 2019 1:36 pm

Organize a protest against this event. Writing about it is far from being enough.

5. Rydberg on April 16th, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting how no one speaks up when UMass openly supports blatant lefties agendas with no one representing the right to defend their viewpoints 😬 the social justice kool aid theory applies to all forms of uninformed, biased practices

6. amy on April 16th, 2019 9:24 pm

“Without the Israel Firsters in America Israel would be condemned by politicians and public figures around the country. Because of the Israel Firsters in America Israel is not denounced as the Apartheid State that it is.”

Okay lol. Palestinian is not an apartheid state, if anything it’s a terrorist state. Americans support Israel probably for a few reasons its considered the birthplace of Christianity and also Israel is the only democracy or real democracy in the middleast and our great ally. The u.s has few allies in this area.

Those who are against Israel are usually anti-Semitic or liberals.

It’s a sad thing that this author is trying to make jews look like oppressors. I think we all know how liberals think and its along the oppressor/victim binary ideology and so they view Muslims who live in Palestinian as the victim and jews in a tiny state comparably to New Jersey surrounded by hostility in every direction with a long history of violence and genocide against them as the “oppressor”.

• Letter: Will UMass support viewpoint diversity or political propaganda?

Organizaciones estudiantiles de UMass llevan a cabo una marcha por la asequibilidad universitaria

Defensive line not concerned about lack of size

Un panel de tres personas discute los retos de salud mental que enfrentan les estudiantes que son atletas

五种方法帮你养成有益习惯

「ジャングルへようこそ」 サウスウェスト・ウィーク月曜開始

Lettera: Chiamare il congresso è gratuito

Anthony Videtto leads ninth inning rally for UMass in Beanpot Championship

UMass baseball walks off to win Beanpot

UMass women’s lacrosse looks to finish off regular season with perfect conference record

UMass softball falls to Boston College in extras