Rebeca Frisk looking to assist Kössler, Bonavita against Richmond

UMass opens up A-10 play Sunday
(Nina Walat/Daily Collegian)

As September draws closer and closer to an end, coming with it brings along the start of Atlantic 10 women’s soccer matchups. For UMass, the first conference foe standing in their way happens to be Richmond, who they will play on Sunday.

UMass (3-2-2), led by leading point-scorers Melissa Kössler, Lauren Bonavita and Rebeca Frisk, will look to overpower Richmond’s (3-2-2) defensive unit.

“Obviously we have our core values of how we want to play—possession with a purpose, to attack,” said Frisk. “I don’t think that when we have opponents coming up [the strategy is] to change our game plan. We just kind of adjust to how our game plan will work best against other opponents.”

Frisk, a senior, has played the role of the unsung hero so far this season by becoming the ultimate facilitator. With the talented striking tandem that is Kössler and Bonavita at her sides, Frisk has used her voice as a major asset to the Minutewomen team, giving constant instruction during gameplay.

“As far as helping to organize—in terms of when to press or when to go, when to check or when to stay—I’m the vocal point of that triangle,” said Frisk.

UMass head coach Jason Dowiak, couldn’t agree more.

“Teams are having a really hard time getting out of our pressure,” Dowiak said. “She’s basically the voice organizing our pressure on teams. She makes sure that that group of three, along with everyone behind them, is moving in unison, really taking away obvious spaces for our opponents to get through us.”

Each year, Frisk’s minutes have gradually risen in volume, peaking at 989 minutes last season. This year, with 416 minutes already logged through seven games, she’s on pace for roughly 1,010 minutes of gameplay.

“Becca [Frisk] has been getting better and better for us every game,” said Dowiak. “Starting really with the Sienna game where she came in and scored two goals.

The forward from Long Valley, New Jersey had her most successful game this season against Sienna in which she scored two goals against the Saints. She recorded an assist against Pittsburgh as well, lifting her point total to five this season.

“She’s certainly a very capable, threatening goal scorer,” Dowiak said.

And that’s exactly what her striking brigade plans on doing when they open up the Atlantic 10 season against Richmond on Sunday at Rudd. The only game in which either Kössler, Bonavita or Frisk didn’t score was in a 1-0 win at Providence—Kelly Marra was the goal-scorer.

The Minutewomen have played five of seven games on the road to open up the non-conference season. Richmond will be UMass’ third home game of the year as they’ve yet to lose a game at Rudd so far.

Alyssa Walker of Richmond is a force to be reckoned with, collecting 13 points on five goals and three assists so far this season.

As of Wednesday, the Spiders—like the Minutewomen—are coming off a tough draw. Richmond tied Coastal Carolina 3-3 on the road last time out.

“If anything, we heighten moments where we can capitalize on other teams,” said Frisk. “We just have to keep doing what we’re doing.”

UMass will be back in action Sunday when they step onto the Rudd pitch. The match is set to start at 1 p.m.

Ryan Beaton can be reached at [email protected].