A-10 men’s soccer notebook: St. Louis remains perfect in conference play

St. Louis extends winning streak to five games

Backed by freshman goalkeeper Patrick Schulte’s sixth clean sheet, Saint Louis continued its Atlantic 10 dominance with a 2-0 win over La Salle on Saturday to remain undefeated in conference play. The keeper made four stops and is still yet to concede a goal in A-10 action.

As good as the Billikens (8-3-0, 5-0-0 A-10) goalkeeping has been, their offense has been equally impressive. Led by Devin Boyce’s fourth tally of the season, SLU was able to break the ice 21 minutes into the first half. Then, with Leo Novaes’ 67th minute strike, the Billikens extended their streak of scoring two or more goals to four-straight games.

The Explorers (6-6-1) registered one shot in the first half and found themselves playing catch up in the second. They were not able to sustain any offense as they finished with four shots on goal.

SLU looks to extend its winning streak to six when it plays the Denver Pioneers (2-7-2) on Oct. 15, while La Salle looks to stay afloat in A-10 when it hosts cross-city rival Villanova (7-4-1).

Rhode Island blanks Saint Joseph’s

After dropping back-to-back games on the road, Saint Joseph’s was eager to bounce back at home against Rhode Island on Saturday. It did not achieve that result, however, losing 2-0.

The Hawks (4-8-1, 0-4-0 A-10) found themselves trailing in the 37th minute after conceding a corner, which allowed URI freshman midfielder Rohun Kawale to net his first goal of the year.

The Rams (7-3-2, 4-1-0 A-10) scored an insurance goal from senior Stavros Zarokostas, who added the 25th of his career in the 70th minute. However, Saint Joseph’s was not lacking any chances as it had several opportunities to tie it before Zarokostas’ tally, but was impeded by URI goalkeeper Stefan Schmidt, who made two pivotal stops against Virginia transfer Leon Maric.

The Hawks look to get back on track with a win at home when they face Drexel during senior night, while the Rams look to make it four in a row when they travel to Brown on Tuesday.

Dayton beats up on St. Bonaventure 

Sophomore Kingsford Adjei recorded a hat trick when he scored his third goal in the 71st minute, as well as Dayton’s sixth goal overall, in a thorough 6-2 defeat St. Bonaventure.

The Bonnies (2-0-0, 0-5-0 A-10) dropped their sixth straight game on Saturday behind an abysmal defensive performance, allowing 33 total shots, 15 on goal, and 13 corner kicks.

The Flyers (6-7-0, 2-2-0 A-10) entered the match looking to rebound from an overtime loss to Virginia Commonwealth and came out with a vengeance, scoring two minutes into the first half on a strike from freshman forward Toluwalase Oladeinbo, who then followed it up by putting Dayton ahead 2-0 in the 20th minute. The Flyers would add two more scores in the first half.

St. Bonaventure finally scored in the 39th minute when it got a penalty kick off a handball in the box, but it was too little too late, as it trailed 4-1 entering the half. St. Bonaventure added one more in the 70th minute to cut the deficit down, but Dayton’s lead was too much to overcome.

The Flyers look to get back to .500 when they host Oakland for a Tuesday night affair. The Bonnies next match is in West Point on Tuesday against Army in a non-conference matchup.

David Bamgbowu can be reached at [email protected].