UMPD Logs: Friday, Sept. 27 – Sunday, Sept. 29

Two arrests were made at UMass football game

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Sept. 27, 2019 to Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019.

Friday, Sept. 27, 2019

Fraud

9:21 a.m.: A party walked into the UMPD station lobby on East Pleasant Street to speak to an officer about fraud. An incident report was completed.

Assist Agency

9:28 a.m.: Officers were present for the climate strike that occurred on Presidents Drive.

Accident-Personal Injury

10:25 a.m.: A caller requested a license plate be run and the owner info to be given to him. An officer advised they could not do that. The caller stated he was hit by a car earlier in the morning outside the W.E.B. Du Bois Library on Hicks Way. The caller stated he was hit at approximately 8:15 a.m., was not injured and did not call because he was so off from getting hit. The party stated he did not want to press charges or take civil action. The caller stated the operator was a female operator.

Traffic Enforcement

11:15 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for texting while driving at the Recreational Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

Traffic Stop

12:00 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for driving the wrong way on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:29 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a motor vehicle without a license on Southwest Circle.

6:21 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a marked lanes violation at Dallas Mall on University Drive.

6:35 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield on Southwest Circle.

8:18 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Sylvan Drive.

9:40 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on North Pleasant Street in Amherst. A UMPD officer spoke with an Amherst Police Department officer on the scene. Three other motorcyclists got through town with no officer contact.

11:54 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights at Lot 27 on North Pleasant Street.

Alarm-Fire

12:49 p.m.: The steam from a dishwasher set off an alarm at Chenoweth Laboratory on Holdsworth Way.

Lost/Found Property

2:31 p.m.: A lost key to W36A graduate office of Machmer Hall on Hicks Way was reported.

5:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated a wallet was stolen sometime in the last two hours at the W.E.B. Du Bois Library on Hicks Way. The wallet was later located.

Assist Citizen

3:35 p.m.: A caller stated that a traffic signal on the intersection of Campus Center Way and Commonwealth Avenue appeared to be malfunctioning. The crosswalk signal was going, but the light was not turning green. A reporting party stated the light turned green. The front vehicle probably wasn’t in the area of the sensor to trip it. No assistance was needed.

Suspicious Person/Activity

6:13 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle locked himself out of his car at Lot 32 East on Massachusetts Avenue. The party checked ok.

8:48 p.m.: A suspicious party found in Lot 34 East of Massachusetts Avenue checked ok.

9:22 p.m.: Suspicious parties at Lot 34 East on Massachusetts Avenue were all checked ok.

10:15 p.m.: A small amount of marijuana found in Lot 34 West on Massachusetts Avenue was destroyed.

11:19 p.m.: A party was giving a verbal warning for urinating in public outside Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

Liquor Law Violations

6:24 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was seized for destruction at Lot 34 West on Massachusetts Avenue.

8:19 p.m.: A party found in possession of alcohol in Lot 34 West on Massachusetts Avenue was of age.

9:37 p.m.: A party at Lot 34 West on Massachusetts Avenue was checked over 21 years of age.

9:42 p.m.: A 20-year-old male party from Bellingham, MA was arrested for possession of liquor under the age of 21 and for possession of a class B drug.

11:42 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped on the east side of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

Alarm-(Prefire)

6:33 p.m.: An alarm went off at North Residential Building A on Eastman Lane. A party called to state that she was straightening her hair and set off the alarm. The alarm was reset.

10:22 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of a pre-alarm that went off at Moore Hall on Southwest Circle and reset the alarm.

Parking Complaint

6:49 p.m.: A white Hyundai Elantra was parked in a handicapped parking spot in Lot 54 at the top of Southwest Circle. The vehicle had a valid placard.

Accident Property Damage

6:50 p.m.: A reporting party stated she believed her vehicle was struck sometime in the morning or afternoon while parked in Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Avenue. The reporting party stated there was white paint transfer and dents and scratches on the driver’s side rear door of her vehicle. The damage was near the door handle area of the vehicle. One of her friends had wiped the area of damage before the officer arrived. There are no suspect vehicles at the time and there were no security cameras in the lot.

Alarm-Elevator

8:33 p.m.: An alarm in an elevator on the 14th floor of John Adams Hall on Fearing Street went off with one person in the elevator. No one was found in the elevator at 8:37 p.m. Housing was notified.

Intoxicated Person

10:07 p.m.: An intoxicated person at Patterson Hall on Sunset Avenue was transported to the hospital.

Alarm-Car

10:15 p.m.: A vehicle’s alarm was sounding at Lot 42 south of Boyden Gymnasium on Commonwealth Avenue. No one was in the area and the vehicle was secure. The alarm eventually stopped.

Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019

Traffic Stop

12:06 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating with a defective side headlight on Lot 21 Access Road.

1:06 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:07 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

1:12 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for improper registration decal on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:16 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

1:40 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment at Hampden Dining Commons on Southwest Circle.

2:04 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for travelling the wrong way on a one way in Lot 34 East on Massachusetts Avenue.

10:15 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Eastman Lane.

2:16 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on lower Massachusetts Avenue.

6:38 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation on lower Campus Center Way.

7:21 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Hicks Way.

8:28 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on Massachusetts Avenue.

8:54 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield on University Drive.

9:43 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a registration decal violation on University Drive.

9:48 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on the intersection of University Drive and Dallas Drive.

10:01 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to yield the right of way on Commonwealth Avenue.

11:33 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on North Pleasant Street in Amherst.

Liquor Law Violations

1:18 a.m.: A 19-year-old male from Grafton, MA was arrested for possession of liquor under the age of 21 outside of Worcester Dining Commons on North Pleasant Street.

11:38 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene at Lot 34 E, a verbal warning was issued to the party involved.

11:59 p.m.: An 18-year-old male from Braintree, Mass. was arrested at Lot 34 E for underage possession of alcohol. The male individual was bailed at 2:14 a.m. on Sunday for court Monday at 8:30 a.m.

Larceny

1:46 a.m.: A reporting party stated a male party attempted to steal a pizza at Hampden Dining Commons on Southwest Circle. A small amount of alcohol was dumped, and the party agreed to pay for the pizza he attempted to steal. The manager accepted the payment and did not want to press charges.

11:59 a.m.: A reporting party in Webster Hall reported stolen car keys. The party said that the keys were actually lost, not stolen, and that they were attempting to use their Tile app to locate them.

Assist Citizen

2:55 a.m.: Courtesy transport was provided from the Baptist Church on North Pleasant Street to 110 Meadow Street.

3:30 a.m.: A reporting party stated his friend, who was not a student, left Patterson Hall approximately an hour ago and may have been headed to his vehicle parked in Lot 25 on Commonwealth Avenue. The party was an intoxicated white male wearing a white sweatshirt. The vehicle is a tan BMW. All checks for the party were negative.

Intoxicated Person

2:58 a.m.: A reporting party stated an intoxicated female in a bathroom of James Hall on Massachusetts Avenue. The party was conscious and had vomited. She did not meet protective custody criteria.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

4:28 a.m.: A disabled vehicle was seen on the intersection of Clark Hill Road and Thatcher Road. The party stated his front passenger strut collapsed and he was calling AAA for a tow. Ernie’s Towing was called to expedite the tow. The tow truck gave the operator a ride to his residence in Puffton Village.

11:01 p.m.: An officer stated there was a vehicle with a flat tire and was waiting for AAA on University Drive.

Traffic Enforcement

9:22 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for flashing red lights on University Drive.

9:30 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

10:31 a.m.: Four traffic citations were given for texting and driving on Commonwealth Avenue.

5:04 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a missing front plate and an expired inspection.

Parking Complaint

9:29 a.m.: A reporting party stated there is a vehicle in her parking space. An Ernie’s tow truck was contacted and towed the vehicle. The vehicle affiliated in parking message left advising of tow.

1:19 p.m.: A Residence Director at Patterson Hall called to report that he did not have a parking space. The responding officer stated that the Residence Director found a parking space, and other violators were ticketed.

2:12 p.m.: An officer wrote 14 parking tickets for vehicles that were double parked on Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Avenue.

4:49 p.m.: Two vehicles blocking access for a delivery vehicle of liquid nitrogen at the Conte Polymer Research Center on Governors Drive. One vehicle was a Honda Accord and the other was a Jeep. Contact was made with the owner of the Honda Accord. An Ernie’s tow truck towed the Jeep.

7:05 p.m.: A parking ticket was issued to a vehicle that was not in a valid parking space in Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Avenue.

7:19 p.m.: A parking ticket was issued to a vehicle that was in a no parking zone at Southwest Mall.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

9:39 a.m.: An alarm went off at North Residential Building C on Eastman Lane. Emergency Health Services was notified. Fire Engine 1 was notified and stated the alarm was due to a circuit problem in room 208. Techs were notified.

Assist Agency

11:25 a.m.: Police officers were present for the UMass vs. the University of Akron football game. A 19-year-old male party from Hadley, MA was arrested for disorderly conduct, possession of liquor under the age of 21 and larceny under $1,200.

A 19-year-old male party from Mansfield, MA was arrested for disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and possessing liquor under the age of 21.

Suspicious Object

1:34 p.m.: A reporting party at Blue Wall stated that there are two pieces of large luggage left in the women’s locker room. The responding officer stated that the owner of the suitcases was located – an employee working there today. The matter would be taken care of internally.

Alarm-Elevator

1:37 p.m.: Housing directors from John Quincy Adams Hall called to report that three people were stuck in Elevator #3 on the 20th floor. Emergency Health Services and the APD were notified.

Suspicious Person/Activity

3:20 p.m.: A party at Lot 50F on John Adams Road was told to urinate in a more discreet area. No other parties were around.

4:39 p.m.: An officer checked on a male party who was reported on the female bathroom of the 20th floor of Washington Hall on Fearing Street. The party checked ok.

6:18 p.m.: A residence director stating he was informed by a student that there was an “almost physical interaction” between 2 or 3 students outside one of the entrances to Brown Hall on Eastman Lane. No description of the students or their exact location was known. The RD asked if the officer can drive by to check the area. The officer stated there was a small group of white males that did not seem phased at his appearance. The area checked ok.

11:01 p.m.: A reporting party via a help phone stated there is a white male running in and out of the road. No further description was given. The reporting party was legally blind. APD was aware of the party and are on the scene. The party checked ok.

11:20 p.m.: A 24-year-old male from Marlborough, MA was arrested for disorderly conduct outside the Integrated Sciences Building on North Pleasant Street.

11:39 p.m.: A reporting party stated a white male, under the influence, wearing a blue shirt and who had short black hair, refused to leave the kitchen when asked at Worcester Dining Commons. When UMPD arrived the party in question had gone.

Health/Safety Hazard

3:33 p.m.: A resident assistant at Coolidge Hall on Massachusetts Avenue stated the pull handle for the fire alarm was pulled in the hallway. The RA stated a student witnessed this happened. No alarm was showing on the Simplex. An officer stated the party that pulled the alarm was described as a white male wearing only boxers. The RA was advised to call UMPD if any further information comes in. Fire Engine 1 came to the scene and reset the alarm.

Alarm (Prefire)

4:04 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 reset a pre-alarm that went off at James Hall on Massachusetts Avenue.

5:44 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 reset a pre-alarm that went off at James Hall on Massachusetts Avenue.

10:13 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 reset a pre-alarm that went off at Brown Hall on Eastman Lane.

Alarm-Fire

6:46 p.m.: Fire Engine 1, Hadley Police Department and Amherst Fire Department were notified of a fire alarm and water flow alarm that went off at the Central Heating Plant on Mullins Way. A staff member stated that nothing was showing. Fire Engine 1 stated there is no smoke, fire or water flow showing at the time. AFD was working with a hydrant that may have affected the system. Fire Engine 1 stated this was due to a flow switch and reset the alarm.

Lost/Found Property

7:32 p.m.: A wallet was found at McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive. The wallet was turned into an officer at the Football Performance Center and was then brought to the station.

Open Window/Door

8:29 p.m.: A gate to the construction site on Campus Center Way was open. There was access to the small area only. The site checked ok.

Sunday Sept. 29, 2019

Alarm (Prefire)

12:06 a.m.: An accidental or defective fire alarm was reported at the North D residential building. Fire Engine 1 was notified.

1:57 a.m.: An accidental or defective fire alarm was reported at Thatcher Dorm. Fire Engine 1 was notified.

Liquor Law Violations

12:56 a.m.: Two people were checked for alcohol on the west side of the Campus Pond. A small amount was dumped.

1:26 a.m.: An involved party at Lot 32 E was found with an open container of alcohol. A small amount was dumped.

Suspicious Person/Activity

1:08 a.m.: A maintainer stated that two parties, a male and female individual, were in an office inside Boyden Gymnasium when the building was closed and no one was supposed to be inside. UMPD checked the building, but no one was found.

1:38 a.m.: An involved party was advised not to take road cones from the Sylvan Residential Area as he was walking down the street with a cone in hand. UMPD advised the male to return it and to “use better judgment.”

10:47 a.m.: A reporting party stated that on the north side of Gorman Dorm from the main entrance there is a large amount of human blood and hair. The party said there was no one in the area. The Physical Plant was requested to hose down the area. The source of the blood was a party who lost control of a bicycle and crashed. The party was actively bleeding from the head, the apparent source of the hair and blood. The subject was transported to the hospital for their injuries.

12:12 p.m.: A reporting party stated that she went to use a study room in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library when a male subject pushed her out of the room. The reporting party met UMPD at the main entrance. UMPD identified the male suspect in the lobby. Police say he would leave the area and explained the subject was upset because a single person was in a room that was reserved for three people.

Traffic Stop

1:58 a.m.: A traffic warning was issued on Massachusetts Avenue. At 2:15 a.m. the vehicle parked.

2:18 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle with its headlight out on Governors Drive.

2:27 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle with no headlights on University Drive.

2:46 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle with no headlights on University Drive.

3:17 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle at Lot 29 C across from Baker Dorm for failure to stop and yield.

1:42 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle stopped on University Drive registered his vehicle yesterday.

6:46 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on University Drive.

7:09 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a license plate display violation on Lot 21 Access Road.

Open Window/Door

4:23 a.m.: A UMPD officer stated there was an open door next to the lobby of Dwight Dorm. The officer stated the apartment door was partially ajar, but there was no one inside. The residence director was contacted. While UMPD were attempting to secure the apartment when the male resident returned. He was advised of the issue and reminded to keep his apartment secure.

Lost/Found Property

4:28 a.m.: A party in the UMPD lobby explained she found a Ucard, would like to turn it in and brought it into the station.

6:29 a.m.: A cadet turned in a UCard which was found in the Southwest Residential area. A message was left with the owner with regards to how to claim their card. The UCard was secured in the evidence lockers.

10:52 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 found an ID outside Lederle Research Tower. A message was left for the owner.

Larceny

10:17 a.m.: A bike was reported stolen outside Leach Dorm. The blue Schwinn mountain bike had been securely locked on the bike racks outside of Leach. It was stolen sometime after Sept. 20. The lock was left behind.

Accident-Property Damage

11:44 a.m.: UMPD received a report from APD that there was a three-vehicle accident at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and University Drive. The perpetrator(s) were gone on arrival.

2:06 p.m.: APD requested an officer for an accident on the intersection of University Drive and Amity Street. Papers were exchanged.

Parking Complaint

12:08 p.m.: An assistant residence director stated to UMPD that he did not have a parking space in Lot 50F west of Patterson Dorm and south of John Adams Tower. The assistant residence director called back and stated someone had left and that he then had a space.

4:39 p.m.: A vehicle was issued a parking ticket for parking in a marked space at Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Avenue.

Suspicious Vehicle

12:14 p.m.: A reporting party stated there is a vehicle with the door open in Lot 47 on Sylvan Drive. The party stated the vehicle was a black Nissan Sentra with a Georgia registration. The officer who was on scene stated the passenger door was wide open. The officer shut the door and advised there was a cell phone charger and two items of clothing in the vehicle.

Traffic Enforcement

7:22 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an expired inspection on Thatcher Road.

Alarm-Fire; Supervisory

11:00 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of an accidental or defective alarm that went off at Herter Hall on Presidents Drive. Fire Engine 1 advised the alarm will remain and might reset on its own.

Chris McLaughlin can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @ChrisMcLJournal. Irina Costache can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @irinacostache. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.