Swim and Dive: men’s and women’s teams both win over BU

Men’s 200-yard medley relay breaks pool record
Nina Walat

The Massachusetts swim and dive teams came out on top today against BU, as the women took a 164-135 victory while the men won in dominating fashion 196-95.

The Minutemen (4-1) and Minutewomen (4-1) have now won three straight meets since their loss to Army, leaving the Terriers 1-3 and the Lady Terriers 0-4.

The last time the UMass men’s team faced BU was 2018, where it lost 189-111. Things were much different this year. Coach Russ Yarworth marked this meet down because of how badly they got beat last year.

“I sound like a broken record, but it’s all about team culture, and it’s really there,” Yarworth said. “The BU coach (Bill Smyth) said that it looks like we have 30 new guys on our team, and that’s a real compliment, noticing our energy and the cohesiveness of everyone.”

The men won a total of 13 events, making a clean sweep in the 100-yard backstroke, the 100-yard butterfly and the one-meter and three-meter dives. The women had seven total wins, with clean sweeps in the 100-yard backstroke and the 200-yard butterfly.

UMass had a few swimmers and divers who came away with multiple wins, including Will Munstermann, with wins in the 100 yard freestyle and 100 yard butterfly; Jamie MacDonald in the 200-yard butterfly and the 200-yard individual medley; and Maja Boric in the one and three-meter dives. Boric is now 10-0 on the season in all of her dive events.

The Minutemen also broke the pool record in the 200-yard medley relay, with a time of 1:31.59. Junior Will Munstermann had a very impressive split in the butterfly aspect of the relay with a time of 21.96.

“They’re just four good sprinters that knew they had a chance,” said Yarworth. “They’ve been talking about it a little bit. Will’s split really set us off, everyone was fast, but that was a pretty special time by Will… he’s such a great story, to see him swimming the way he is, from where he came from.”

The scoreboard for the men’s directly correlated to the way that Yarworth felt about his swimmers, especially swimmers such as MacDonald and senior Al Madden.

“[MacDonald and Madden] had a rough week health-wise, but they came to swim today,” said Yarworth. “Jamie won two events and Al won the 100 breast and was a part of the [pool-record-breaking] medley relay, which was really cool to see.”

Even though the Minutewomen won seven events in comparison to BU’s nine, they still pulled away with the win by 29 points. UMass was especially dominant in the first half of the meet, jumping out to an 81-31 lead, which proved too much for the Lady Terriers to come back from.

“The environment in here was awesome. You win a relay or an event people are up and cheering. It’s loud, it’s a great environment, and we just fed off of that,” women’s coach Bob Newcomb said. “[Our momentum] just built. It started right from the medley relay where we [finished in first and second] and that one surprised me. They got the emotion, they got the excitement, and they just kept getting better.”

This is the first win for the Minutewomen against BU in six years, with the last victory coming in 2013. Newcomb, who was the coach for UMass when they won that meet in 2013, felt pride in his team for doing something that hasn’t been done in a while.

Although Newcomb is happy for the big win, his main focus is to look ahead and to make sure that this injury-riddled team is able to stay healthy.

“They have to take care of themselves. We’re three weeks out of [the Terrier Invitational], we have an assortment of sicknesses and illnesses around the team,” Newcomb said. “We gotta be able to be smart, do what they have to do in the classroom, take care of their bodies. If they have an illness, they need to go to a doctor and get better, if they’re hurt, they have to get to the trainers, get in rehab and do what they need to do.”

The UMass men do not have their next event until November 22, where the swimmers head to BU for the Terrier Invitational while the divers will go down to Morgantown for the WVU Invitational. The Minutewomen will be on the road this week, as they will make their way to Rhode Island to face off against URI.

Joseph Aliberti can be reached via email at​[email protected] ​and on Twitter @JosephAliberti1.