Top six songs to put into your Valentine’s Day playlist

Music is the key to romance
Courtesy of Linda Hall/Flickr

Feb. 14 marks the day of love and appreciation for your loved ones and for those in a relationship, it’s time to start thinking of how you would like to celebrate that love.  Ranging from silly cards to romantic flowers to dinner dates to gifts, Valentine’s Day requires you to be artistic and creative with how you choose to make your partner feel loved. On this holiday, many feel pressured to buy expensive jewelry, plan an extravagant dinner or succumb to the idea of having to give luxurious gifts. Valentine’s Day should not be focused on materialistic items and gifts; rather, it is meant to demonstrate the passionate love between you and a loved one.

In most relationships, couples tend to share a special song that marks an important milestone in their relationship. The song may have been playing in the background of their first kiss and it made the moment feel more magical and intimate. Music tends to speak to our emotions as we relate to the lyrics being sung by artists; music allows for us to escape into a world where we feel understood. For the couples out there celebrating Valentine’s Day, a thoughtful gesture for your partner could be to create a playlist of songs that are romantic and remind you of him or her.

The ultimate guide to a romantic playlist will range depending on the couple and their music taste. There are a vast number of songs that will help express your passion and love.  While you are thinking of songs to put into a Valentine’s Day playlist, make sure to think of moments from your relationship that a song may relate to — think about your partner and their personality — and think of things you would like to say that you may have a difficult time communicating. Regardless of the type of playlist you create for your significant other, here are the top six songs that should be added into your playlist for Valentine’s Day.

1. “Wanted” by Hunter Hayes

Hunter Hayes wrote this song to express his love for someone by describing how he would make them feel wanted in their relationship.

Most Romantic Lyrics: “Cause I wanna wrap you up / Wanna kiss your lips / I wanna make you feel wanted / And I wanna call you mine / Wanna hold your hand forever / And never let you forget it / Yeah I wanna make you feel wanted”

2.“Perfect” by Ed Sheeran

This song is a beautiful representation of love as it represents wanting to grow with your partner as you create a future together.

Most Romantic Lyrics: “Darling just hold my hand / Be my girl, I’ll be your man / I see my future in your eyes”

3. “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars

Bruno Mars sets the tone of appreciation and admiration as he describes his love for someone by repeatedly stating that they are beautiful the way they are.

Most Romantic Lyrics: “When I see your face / There’s not a thing that I would change ’cause you’re amazing / Just the way you are”

4. “One Call Away” by Charlie Puth

This song was written to portray a long-distance relationship and the love that they maintain despite not being able to see each other every day.

Most Romantic Lyrics:I’m only one call away / I’ll be there to save the day / Superman got nothing on me / I’m only one call away”

5. “She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5

This song is about a man who watches his best friend – who he is in love with – get hurt time and time again by others. The man comforts his best friend each time because he wants to protect her heart. It is a true love song as it explicitly expresses how powerful the emotion of love can be.

Most Romantic Lyrics: “I don’t mind spendin’ everyday / Out on your corner in the pourin’ rain oh / Look for the girl with the broken smile / Ask her if she wants to stay awhile / And she will be loved, and she will be loved”

6. “10,000 Hours” by Dan + Shay & Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber was once just a young teenage artist, but in this song, he presents himself as someone who is pouring his heart out to his wife, an act that demonstrates his commitment and dedication to her. It is a beautiful love song that, in  collaboration with Dan + Shay, Justin Bieber sparks the emotions of many fans who are in love with someone else.

Most Romantic Lyrics: “I’d spend ten thousand hours and ten thousand more / Oh, if that’s what it takes to learn that sweet heart of yours / And I might never get there, but I’m gonna try / If it’s ten thousand hours or the rest of my life / I’m gonna love you”

Music is a powerful way to express emotions of love, appreciation and passion with your significant other. With these six songs in your playlist, you are in for a romantic Valentine’s Day this year. Be thoughtful when creating your playlist. Choosing songs that speak to you and how you feel about your significant other can make or break the holiday. Valentine’s Day is about showing love to those important in your life — not just a boyfriend or girlfriend but also family and friends. Take this day to show appreciation to everyone around you by spreading love and affection.

Jillian Bamdas can be reached at [email protected].