A-10 Notebook: Dayton, Richmond and Rhode Island Remain on top of the A-10 rankings

Dayton picks up sixth win in a row
(Nina Walat/Daily Collegian)

There is a month left until the 2021 Atlantic 10 Women’s Basketball Championship begins. As each game is played, the teams in the conference are fighting to rise in the standings.

Dayton defeats St Bonaventure

St Bonaventure (2-10-0, 1-8-0 A-10) continues to struggle as it added to its current losing streak, remaining in the bottom three.

Dayton (8-1-0, 7-0-0 A-10) began the game strong, scoring seven unanswered points in the first three minutes. This continued throughout the first quarter, with many different players adding their name to the scoresheet.

The second quarter began with a three from the Flyer’s Kyla Whitehead. Her fellow teammate, Jenna Giacone, followed up with another three. However, the Bonnies, who began slow, managed to advance and score a total of 24 points in the half.

St. Bonaventure came out determined at the start of the third quarter, closing the gap to six. The Flyers were able to hold them off, maintaining the lead going into the fourth.

Dayton stayed strong with a final score of 68-51, winning its sixth game in a row. Giacone’s 20-point game was a new career high.

The top seeded Flyers will compete against other A-10 teams in the coming days, playing Richmond, who is currently tied for second in the conference, on Feb. 12.

Richmond takes down George Mason

It was the battle of the threes in this game as Richmond (10-4-0, 7-2-0 A-10) had a season high of 15 three-pointers. George Mason (3-13-0, 0-9-0 A-10) tried to counter, but was unsuccessful, making 7-of-25 from behind the arc.

The only lead George Mason held was in the first quarter. The first points of the game came from Taylor Jameson, giving the Patriots a 3-0 lead. They were able to build that lead to 7-6, when Richmond took over.

Throughout the second quarter, the Patriots struggled from the three-point line, making 1-of-6. The Spiders were only able to outscore them by two in the quarter but secured a 10-point lead going into the half.

In the third quarter, Richmond made three three-pointers, helping give the Spider’s their largest lead of the game at 56-33. George Mason fell further behind, only scoring 11 points in the quarter.

The Patriots made their strongest run in the fourth quarter, holding Richmond to nine points, but was unable to score enough losing 67-52.

The Spiders successful week, including two road games, keeps them in the top three of the conference standings.

Saint Joseph’s Falls Short, Losing to Rhode Island in Overtime

Rhode Island (7-5-0, 7-2-0 A-10) held the lead for the majority of the game, outscoring the Hawks in the first half. Yet, Saint Joseph’s (5-2-0, 3-2-0 A-10) fought back, closing the gap in the second.

In the third quarter, both teams scored 14 points, with the Rams having only a seven-point lead going into the fourth. Saint Joseph’s managed to tie the game late in the fourth, scoring 10 points and holding Rhode Island to three.

Tied at 42, both teams struggled to score in overtime. With only 54 seconds remaining, the Rams made a crucial three. The Hawks followed up with a layup, yet fouled Catherine Cairns, from Rhode Island, giving her the opportunity to expand the lead. She made both free throws, and once again the Hawks responded with a layup. With just eight seconds left, another Rams player was fouled, and she made 1-of-2 at the line, giving her team the victory.

Rhode Island remains high in the standings, tied at second place in the A-10 alongside Richmond. 

Sophie Weller can be reached at [email protected] and followed on twitter @Sophie_Weller3.