Opening the pit at Western Mass. Attack

Fans gathered to support and mosh at Amherst College music venue
Photo courtesy of Austin Wells-Wakefield

The western Mass. hardcore music scene had yet another show recently with their free “Western Mass. Attack” concert at Amherst College.

On Oct. 12, the show was held at Marsh House, a student dormitory at Amherst College. The local bands that played included Film and Gender, Birthright, Posthumous Obsession, Th3 Butt3rfli3s and B33z, Robbery and Target Scammers.

Kyle Cohen, guitarist of Target Scammers, organized the show after the original lineup for the show was canceled. “This was originally supposed to be a show for this band Sink but they ended their band,” Cohen explained.

He decided to use the show to feature Amherst bands. Film and Gender as well as Robbery and Target Scammers were already asked to play the original Sink show.

“I kind of just threw everything together. Sam from [the band] Hivemouth at Amherst College helped me set this up, they got the space and got a ton of earplugs, water, and food and stuff,” Cohen said.

Th3 Butt3rfli3s and B33z opened the show with what they described as a “chaotic” set. “None of us could hear anything that was going on,” vocalist Penny Fay said. “It was really fun though, it was enjoyable, and everyone seemed to like us.”

Th3 Butt3rfli3s and B33z are a new local screamo and experimental hardcore Adventure Time cover band; Western Mass. Attack was their second show ever. The idea to form a band came to them in an alley.

“I was screaming with my friends, and I was like we should start a band, and it should be an emo Adventure Time cover band,” Miles Larkin-Ross, vocalist and bassist for Th3 Butt3rfli3s and B33z, said.

“None of us knew how to play an instrument before the band started except for Montez,” Fay said. “Montez [their guitarist] is the only one who knows what they’re doing.”

“And I’d say that’s pretty hardcore.”

The following hardcore bands: Posthumous Obsession, Robbery and Birthright, as well as two-piece punk act Film and Gender, have been in the western Mass. scene for a while. They all continue to draw crowds encouraging mosh pits and, as Posthumous Obsession’s vocalist Matthew Morales puts it, “We make music for people to fight to…heavy riffs and sudden tempo changes.”

Posthumous Obsession is from Brimfield. A big part of the band members’ friendship has always been music, with them specifically gravitating towards hardcore punk.

Morales said that this was their favorite show Posthumous Obsession has played in so far.

“There were so many people, and the pit was crazy. It was definitely the most violent show we’ve played.”

Target Scammers were the last band to play and conclude the night. Cohen describes themselves as a “shitty punk band,” with influences that include the Beach Boys, Hank Williams and Lou Reed.

“We really don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we have fun,” Cohen said.

Due to the space being rented out for a limited time, Target Scammers were put under a tight time constraint as the last set of the night. Having limited time, they decided to play their set much faster than they normally would, and people at the show enjoyed the high energy it brought at the end of the night.

Ashly Merrow, a University of Massachusetts junior in the individual concentration program, said that the rapid pacing of the Target Scammers set was one of her favorite moments at the show.

“Any show is better than no show, and they executed it perfectly under lots of pressure,” Merrow said.

Many people at the show agreed that the western Mass. music scene is an important and welcoming community for them, especially for those in Amherst.

“It means a lot to me being involved in such a safe community compared to surrounding areas. You can recognize most people at western Mass. shows, and it really feels like a tight community,” Merrow said.

Cohen says that the music scene in Amherst means everything to him.

“I didn’t really even want to go to college, if I didn’t go to UMass I probably wouldn’t have gone,” Cohen explained. “But I’ve always just really worshipped Amherst and the music that has come from here like Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies and Orchid. So, it’s cool coming here and kind of being part of that.”

Jason Frankel, a sophomore music major, said that he has enjoyed getting into the hardcore scene in Amherst, after coming from a more alternative music scene in his hometown of Scituate.

“It’s kind of gotten me to find my own identity as an adult now being in college,” Frankel said. “I feel like I’ve really grown into my own and separated a bit from the music I was raised in and the scenes from home, so yeah I like hardcore.”

Similarly, sophomore public relations major Drew Dynan said that being a part of the western Mass. hardcore scene is “like a family.”

“My favorite thing about it has got to be 121 North Pleasant St., that venue brings me so much joy,” Dynan added.

Morales agreed that the western Mass music scene is like a big family.

“There is no one I feel I can’t talk to. Everyone is supportive and is there to uplift one another,” Morales said. “I feel so lucky to be a part of it.”

Lulu Harding can be reached at [email protected].