UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Trio of freshmen leading UMass hockey’s offense early in the season -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A guide to comic collecting in the Pioneer Valley -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Letter: What’s behind the curtains on Birthright trips? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

FBI director’s fear-mongering view of data encryption is off the mark -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass Permaculture Initiative to add three new programs -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gov. Deval Patrick visits Amherst, awards $1.5 million grant for downtown development -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UHS offers more accessible vaccination clinics as flu season nears -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gamard: Is gluten really bad or just a fad? -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Three new students appointed as SGA special assistants -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Allymohamed scores game winner after suffering facial injury against Boston University -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Loaded weekend against Marist, Keene State challenges UMass club hockey -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

UMass football seeing improvement on both the offensive and defensive lines -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Remembering Derek Jeter: an appraisal -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Yellowcard switches things up on “Lift a Sail” -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Campus Sustainability Day to take place Wednesday -

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste

Courtesy of Facebook

Broke college students all over the country are in a constant search for cheap but worthwhile products. These include commonly sought out are items such as books, food, clothing and – most of all – alcohol. One handle of Rubinoff vodka, either flavored or plain, costs about $12.99. This insanely low price makes this liquor the cheapest, easiest and least delicious way to get drunk. However, when concocted in the right manner, a few quick changes can turn this handle of rubbing alcohol into liquid paradise on ice.

Candy-coat it

For all the sweets lovers out there, this recipe may be the perfect fix to turn a potent liquor into a delightful drink. Grab a pack of Gummi Bears or Worms and the handle of Rubinoff. Make sure to mix the ingredients in a glass container because plastic can be harmful to the finished product.  Empty the gummies of choice in the bowl and pour vodka over them, soaking them completely. Cover with plastic wrap and let this soak in the refrigerator for about three days. Feasting on the candy-coated gummies will create a strong buzz while satisfying that sweet tooth, all in one bite.

Infuse it

If gummies don’t trigger some sort of salivation, another option is sure to please even the pickiest of drinkers. Buy a giant bag of Skittles and carefully separate the rainbow candies into categories by color. Find several empty water bottles and fill them each halfway with Rubinoff vodka. Add each Skittles color to a separate water bottle and shake them, then let the mixture set overnight. Use coffee filters to strain the mix to remove excess sugar. Pour the liquid into fancier bottles (or not), then chill and enjoy!

Another method to infuse vodka is by soaking it with easily absorbable fruit, such as pineapple. To infuse a pineapple, first cut up the entire fruit. Add 750 milliliters of vodka and one-third cup sugar. Using a glass container, let the mix sit for about two days and then strain it and chill before serving.

Punch it

A fantastic recipe to have on hand for parties, events, or  in an emergency break-up kit is the classic party punch. Punches are a combination of various kinds of fruit, soda, and juice. The key is to add enough of each ingredient to mask the vile taste that is plain Rubinoff. To create a traditional punch, blend red fruit punch with one can of crushed pineapple in a large serving bowl. Add one bottle of ginger ale soda, one bag of fresh strawberries and vodka to ensure for a mouthwatering, seemingly-virgin beverage.

Melon it

For a slightly less sugar-coma-inducing alcoholic food, cut a hole in the top of the watermelon and pour vodka down a funnel and into the hole. This step takes patience as the watermelon slowly soaks up the vodka. Once the desired amount of Rubinoff is absorbed into the watermelon, store the fruit in the fridge for several hours. Slice as normal to serve and watch the fruity personalities appear!

Jell-o it

“It’s alive!” Start by following traditional Jell-o instructions – boil water, add a box of Jell-o mix and stir. Replace part of the prescribed water component with the alcohol, but not more than half, if you ever want your treat to solidify. Depending on the flavor of Rubinoff, pick a complementing flavor of Jell-o – such as raspberry Rubinoff with raspberry Jell-o. Make several different flavors of Jell-o and then layer the flavors in a shot cup. To do this, allow the base color of the Jell-o to set completely, and then repeat for the additional layers.

While none of these recipes are guaranteed to cure a hangover the morning after or completely wipe of the awful taste of Rubinoff, they come with a pledge to make the taste more bearable and help save enough cash to order pizza at 3 a.m. once the alcoholic snacks wear off.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste”
  1. Marcel Shipp says:

man I used to drink straight rubinoff during my days at UMass

2. captain three-west says:

woo, what college memories!!! i’m wondering if rubinoff is only sold in new england, cuzz i have not seen it elsewhere around the country. i tore this stuff up in Boston!!! nothing like rubinoff in a gatorade bottle heading out on a friday night to “trashford” and cramming your way onto a full green line train to packard’s corner!!!

3. Jrom says:

I’m in this picture. We drank rubinoff every night. Shoutout to all of the hideout crew. Dave Steve Jason autumn hope Andrew Mona Kyle devin and everyone else from those days. Jesus.

4. DG says:

lol thats me all the way to the right