UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste

Courtesy of Facebook

Broke college students all over the country are in a constant search for cheap but worthwhile products. These include commonly sought out are items such as books, food, clothing and – most of all – alcohol. One handle of Rubinoff vodka, either flavored or plain, costs about $12.99. This insanely low price makes this liquor the cheapest, easiest and least delicious way to get drunk. However, when concocted in the right manner, a few quick changes can turn this handle of rubbing alcohol into liquid paradise on ice.

Candy-coat it

For all the sweets lovers out there, this recipe may be the perfect fix to turn a potent liquor into a delightful drink. Grab a pack of Gummi Bears or Worms and the handle of Rubinoff. Make sure to mix the ingredients in a glass container because plastic can be harmful to the finished product.  Empty the gummies of choice in the bowl and pour vodka over them, soaking them completely. Cover with plastic wrap and let this soak in the refrigerator for about three days. Feasting on the candy-coated gummies will create a strong buzz while satisfying that sweet tooth, all in one bite.

Infuse it

If gummies don’t trigger some sort of salivation, another option is sure to please even the pickiest of drinkers. Buy a giant bag of Skittles and carefully separate the rainbow candies into categories by color. Find several empty water bottles and fill them each halfway with Rubinoff vodka. Add each Skittles color to a separate water bottle and shake them, then let the mixture set overnight. Use coffee filters to strain the mix to remove excess sugar. Pour the liquid into fancier bottles (or not), then chill and enjoy!

Another method to infuse vodka is by soaking it with easily absorbable fruit, such as pineapple. To infuse a pineapple, first cut up the entire fruit. Add 750 milliliters of vodka and one-third cup sugar. Using a glass container, let the mix sit for about two days and then strain it and chill before serving.

Punch it

A fantastic recipe to have on hand for parties, events, or  in an emergency break-up kit is the classic party punch. Punches are a combination of various kinds of fruit, soda, and juice. The key is to add enough of each ingredient to mask the vile taste that is plain Rubinoff. To create a traditional punch, blend red fruit punch with one can of crushed pineapple in a large serving bowl. Add one bottle of ginger ale soda, one bag of fresh strawberries and vodka to ensure for a mouthwatering, seemingly-virgin beverage.

Melon it

For a slightly less sugar-coma-inducing alcoholic food, cut a hole in the top of the watermelon and pour vodka down a funnel and into the hole. This step takes patience as the watermelon slowly soaks up the vodka. Once the desired amount of Rubinoff is absorbed into the watermelon, store the fruit in the fridge for several hours. Slice as normal to serve and watch the fruity personalities appear!

Jell-o it

“It’s alive!” Start by following traditional Jell-o instructions – boil water, add a box of Jell-o mix and stir. Replace part of the prescribed water component with the alcohol, but not more than half, if you ever want your treat to solidify. Depending on the flavor of Rubinoff, pick a complementing flavor of Jell-o – such as raspberry Rubinoff with raspberry Jell-o. Make several different flavors of Jell-o and then layer the flavors in a shot cup. To do this, allow the base color of the Jell-o to set completely, and then repeat for the additional layers.

While none of these recipes are guaranteed to cure a hangover the morning after or completely wipe of the awful taste of Rubinoff, they come with a pledge to make the taste more bearable and help save enough cash to order pizza at 3 a.m. once the alcoholic snacks wear off.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste”
  1. Marcel Shipp says:

man I used to drink straight rubinoff during my days at UMass

2. captain three-west says:

woo, what college memories!!! i’m wondering if rubinoff is only sold in new england, cuzz i have not seen it elsewhere around the country. i tore this stuff up in Boston!!! nothing like rubinoff in a gatorade bottle heading out on a friday night to “trashford” and cramming your way onto a full green line train to packard’s corner!!!

3. Jrom says:

I’m in this picture. We drank rubinoff every night. Shoutout to all of the hideout crew. Dave Steve Jason autumn hope Andrew Mona Kyle devin and everyone else from those days. Jesus.

4. DG says:

lol thats me all the way to the right