Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste

Courtesy of Facebook

Broke college students all over the country are in a constant search for cheap but worthwhile products. These include commonly sought out are items such as books, food, clothing and – most of all – alcohol. One handle of Rubinoff vodka, either flavored or plain, costs about $12.99. This insanely low price makes this liquor the cheapest, easiest and least delicious way to get drunk. However, when concocted in the right manner, a few quick changes can turn this handle of rubbing alcohol into liquid paradise on ice.

Candy-coat it

For all the sweets lovers out there, this recipe may be the perfect fix to turn a potent liquor into a delightful drink. Grab a pack of Gummi Bears or Worms and the handle of Rubinoff. Make sure to mix the ingredients in a glass container because plastic can be harmful to the finished product.  Empty the gummies of choice in the bowl and pour vodka over them, soaking them completely. Cover with plastic wrap and let this soak in the refrigerator for about three days. Feasting on the candy-coated gummies will create a strong buzz while satisfying that sweet tooth, all in one bite.

Infuse it

If gummies don’t trigger some sort of salivation, another option is sure to please even the pickiest of drinkers. Buy a giant bag of Skittles and carefully separate the rainbow candies into categories by color. Find several empty water bottles and fill them each halfway with Rubinoff vodka. Add each Skittles color to a separate water bottle and shake them, then let the mixture set overnight. Use coffee filters to strain the mix to remove excess sugar. Pour the liquid into fancier bottles (or not), then chill and enjoy!

Another method to infuse vodka is by soaking it with easily absorbable fruit, such as pineapple. To infuse a pineapple, first cut up the entire fruit. Add 750 milliliters of vodka and one-third cup sugar. Using a glass container, let the mix sit for about two days and then strain it and chill before serving.

Punch it

A fantastic recipe to have on hand for parties, events, or  in an emergency break-up kit is the classic party punch. Punches are a combination of various kinds of fruit, soda, and juice. The key is to add enough of each ingredient to mask the vile taste that is plain Rubinoff. To create a traditional punch, blend red fruit punch with one can of crushed pineapple in a large serving bowl. Add one bottle of ginger ale soda, one bag of fresh strawberries and vodka to ensure for a mouthwatering, seemingly-virgin beverage.

Melon it

For a slightly less sugar-coma-inducing alcoholic food, cut a hole in the top of the watermelon and pour vodka down a funnel and into the hole. This step takes patience as the watermelon slowly soaks up the vodka. Once the desired amount of Rubinoff is absorbed into the watermelon, store the fruit in the fridge for several hours. Slice as normal to serve and watch the fruity personalities appear!

Jell-o it

“It’s alive!” Start by following traditional Jell-o instructions – boil water, add a box of Jell-o mix and stir. Replace part of the prescribed water component with the alcohol, but not more than half, if you ever want your treat to solidify. Depending on the flavor of Rubinoff, pick a complementing flavor of Jell-o – such as raspberry Rubinoff with raspberry Jell-o. Make several different flavors of Jell-o and then layer the flavors in a shot cup. To do this, allow the base color of the Jell-o to set completely, and then repeat for the additional layers.

While none of these recipes are guaranteed to cure a hangover the morning after or completely wipe of the awful taste of Rubinoff, they come with a pledge to make the taste more bearable and help save enough cash to order pizza at 3 a.m. once the alcoholic snacks wear off.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.

4 Responses to “Delicious Rubinoff drinks sink cheap vodka aftertaste”
  1. Marcel Shipp says:

man I used to drink straight rubinoff during my days at UMass

2. captain three-west says:

woo, what college memories!!! i’m wondering if rubinoff is only sold in new england, cuzz i have not seen it elsewhere around the country. i tore this stuff up in Boston!!! nothing like rubinoff in a gatorade bottle heading out on a friday night to “trashford” and cramming your way onto a full green line train to packard’s corner!!!

3. Jrom says:

I’m in this picture. We drank rubinoff every night. Shoutout to all of the hideout crew. Dave Steve Jason autumn hope Andrew Mona Kyle devin and everyone else from those days. Jesus.

4. DG says:

lol thats me all the way to the right