Towson stonewalls UMass men’s lacrosse in CAA Championship; Minutemen season ends after 9-4 loss -

Zach Coleman to join former coach Derek Kellogg at LIU Brooklyn -

UMass men’s lacrosse advances to CAA finals courtesy of Dan Muller’s heroics -

On campus: The liberal assault on free speech -

Podcast: Molander speaks out about his intentions

Also see: Molander’s original ‘Friends Club’ letter |Letter causes stir on campus | Tyler Molander in process of withdrawingCampus Perspective: From Sylvan to Southwest, students discuss Molander
| Campus Perspectives: Students respond to letter and reaction | Editorial: Molander misinterpreted by University

Alyssa Creamer/Collegian

The Massachusetts Daily Collegian’s Editor-in-Chief Alyssa Creamer, News Editor Katie Landeck and Assistant News Editor Dan Glaun sat down with Tyler Molander, the UMass junior behind a letter asking students to join a “friend club” that grabbed the attention of members of the UMass community on Jan. 29, to discuss the intentions of his letter, the days following its distribution, the administration’s reaction and his uncertain future as a student at the University.

Parts of this podcast contain explicit language. Listener discretion is advised.
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 1
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 2
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 3
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 4
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 5
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 6
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 7
Tyler Molander Podcast: Part 8

The interview was conducted by Alyssa Creamer, Katie Landeck and Dan Glaun. The podcast was edited by Lindsey Davis.

3 Responses to “Podcast: Molander speaks out about his intentions”
  1. Levent says:

I was expecting him to sound and act different than this. He’s definitely not a personified caricature of obnoxious and teenage self-righteousness one might conclude solely based on the letter to friends with no common interests he distributed. If anything the interviewer came off as the devilish one in this soundtrack. In other words, she sounds like a natural, keen on uncovering the “problems” with who did and said what before they said the opposite, etc..
    It was an interesting interview, I turned off Jersey Shore halfway through to listen to it.

2. Levent says:

The point is, which I should have stated above, is that after 5 minutes of listening to this kid it’s pretty clear that he’s not a “psychopath.” Not that kind that is a threat to others at least. He went to the Police before he even distributed the letter, that’s a riot!
    But I can totally see the University not wanting him to come back, because the likelihood of this having unintended but foreseeable repercussions is the real threat. What happens if after returning he gets harassed? Or worse?? It’s not good for business.

3. anon says:

Tyler is ridiculous. His original theory about friends makes no sense. Everyone knows that friends who play video games or drink together only do it as a pretense to see each other and usually to form meaningful connections. In no way would that mean the friendships are any less real. It’s such a projection of the guys own insecurity. I knew him (only vaguely) like a year or two ago from the philosophy club as an acquaintance. The guy had no idea when I was joking or serious. He takes everything personally. It’s completely stupid the way the school dealt with him, but the guy is also kind of horrible. The note is egotistical and a false analysis only reflective of his own failings.