Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass drops OT heartbreaker at No. 23 Temple

If last night’s contest between the Massachusetts men’s basketball team and No. 23 Temple is the final matchup in the storied rivalry, it ended in grand fashion.

Trailing 90-88 with 10 seconds remaining in overtime, Jesse Morgan’s runner rimmed out and Maxie Esho’s put-back attempt wouldn’t fall as the Owls stole a victory away from the Minutemen at the Liacouras Center. The 63rd meeting between the two sides may be the last in an intense Atlantic 10 rivalry as speculation continues to mount about Temple’s potential jump to the Big East conference as early as next season.

UMass (19-10, 8-7 A-10) held an 86-80 advantage with 2:13 left to play in the extra frame, but the Owls capitalized on six trips to the free throw line – sinking 6-for-9 attempts from the charity stripe – while the Minutemen failed to get to the line in the last two minutes. Khaliff Wyatt finished a breakaway lay-up with 16 seconds remaining to make it a 90-88 game, which proved to be the game-winning basket.

Temple (23-8, 12-3 A-10) appeared to have the game in hand as regulation winded down, holding a 77-67 lead with two minutes remaining. But UMass put together a valiant run, scoring 13 of the final 16 points to force overtime. Freddie Riley drained a pair of clutch 3-pointers, including a fade-away in front of the Minutemen bench, to cut the deficit to one with 51 seconds left.

After the Owls failed to ice UMass at the free throw line down the stretch, Raphiael Putney collected an offensive board and banked home a lay-in to knot the score at 80, then rejected Juan Fernandez’s 3-point attempt at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.

Despite the disappointing result, UMass coach Derek Kellogg was proud of the way his team fought the entire night coming off its 33-point beatdown at Dayton on Saturday.

“That was an unbelievable game. I thought our kids fought to the end. That was an NCAA tournament-level game,” said Kellogg in a postgame radio interview following the game. “The one thing I found out about my team is that after laying an egg at Dayton, they came out and fought their butts off. I’m actually proud of these guys. I thought they were unbelievable tonight.”

Chaz Williams dictated the pace of the entire 45 minutes, finishing with 26 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds at the helm of the Minutemen offense. Terrell Vinson had the hot hand in the early going, scoring 16 points –14 coming in the first half – despite fouling out with 3:52 to play in regulation.

Wyatt was the catalyst for Temple with his team-high 26 points including 17 from the free throw line out of a staggering 18 attempts. The junior had more shots from the charity stripe than the entire UMass squad (10 attempts).

The Owls had the edge at the free throw line all night long, going 30-for-40 from the stripe compared to the Minutemen’s 6-for-10.

“They shot 40 free throws to our 10. Come on. I mean, that’s tough to overcome,” said Kellogg. “We put them to the line some, but I just thought they had an advantage at the free throw line.”

The game was tied at 58 with less than nine minutes to play in regulation when UMass started to shoot itself in the foot. The Minutemen scored just two points in the next 5:13, with most possessions ending in rushed shots or turnovers, including a technical foul by Kellogg.

“I just thought a few immature basketball plays, I think, cost us the game tonight,” he said.

With the loss, UMass is eliminated from contention for a potential first round bye in the A-10 tournament. If the Minutemen win their final game against Rhode Island, they will have a home game on March 6 to start the tournament.

UMass tips off with URI this Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Mullins Center in its regular season finale.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Sellner.